PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Fc @ Anfield - Reds Supporters Gatherings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

LSB_Fan
05-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Sigh.... a disappointing score... was hoping for 3 points to close the gap :(

Joe73
05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Sorry Reds lost. Good game though ;)

kb_soo80
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
No team on earth could have beaten the blueshites 9-0-1 formation today. Especially when all 9 defenders took up their places inside their own 18 yard box.

Rafa's right - only one team tried to win the match. The Neverton formation and tactics were all about damage limitation. There was no way any strikeforce in the Premiership was going to be able to navigate it's way through a penalty area that resembled a mosh pit.

Apart from not sticking the ball in the onion bag, which was always the most likely case when you go against a team as negatively-minded as this, our boys battered the crap out of them.

ah_ray
05-02-2007, 05:19 PM
i agree with a lot of what's been said. to add...

if rafa 'knew' the game would be narrow and compact before-hand, why couldnt he come up with a match-winning plan? he's had since wednesday to think about it.

rafa 'knew' they'd start with 3 players in the middle of the park, why did we only play 2? if he 'knew' they would play narrow, why didnt we play TWO out-and-out wingers? we had 2 on the bench for 94 minutes.

rafa talks alot about 'balance' - of which we showed a lack of today. tactically, rafa got 'done' today by a manager of a 'smaller' team.

i have the utmost respect for rafa and love the guy, but he does make sum frustrating comments and decisions sometimes.

...he's said 'smaller teams' out of bitterness, stooping to their level - he knows how big a game this was in terms of our title aspirations so having a dig at the intertoto-bluesh1te should be the last of his concerns.

as i've said numerous times before, [1] crouch should ALWAYS start on the bench in 'big' games as he's simply not good enough, [2] we need kewell and sissoko back & [3] we need a 'creative' influence higher up the pitch, ie. gerrard being unshackled

KingEros
05-02-2007, 07:15 PM
... he's said 'smaller teams' out of bitterness, stooping to their level - he knows how big a game this was in terms of our title aspirations so having a dig at the intertoto-bluesh1te should be the last of his concerns.
What's wrong with calling a spade what it really is ... ie, a spade??
Everton's a club who had to sell Rooney ... their genius of a find.
Everton's a club Rooney decide to leave ... despite the fact that he grew up supporting them.
Adding fuel to the fire, Everton's a club who can't even hold onto a certain Tomas Gravesen.
If this is not a small club, then what is??
Yes, we're talking about facilities, ambitions & wealth ... :eek:

... as i've said numerous times before, [1] crouch should ALWAYS start on the bench in 'big' games as he's simply not good enough, [2] we need kewell and sissoko back & [3] we need a 'creative' influence higher up the pitch, ie. gerrard being unshackled
First thing first ... who are you to "I've said numerous times before"??
Have you even tried coaching a age-group side of the local S-league??

On another note, you do remind me of the typical USMS submissions ... all very great at pointing out the problems, but never able to come up with any solution of significance:
1) if Crouch should be left on the bench ... who should have played instead, in view that Rafa ws using 3 strikers to force Everton into panic?? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, let's drop Crouch & play just 2 up front ... did Bellamy or Kuyt fare any better against that "school bus" parked in front of Howard??
2) Kewell & Sissoko ... dun you know both are still short of match fitness & you wanna play them in the 150kmh derby?? You must have been doing very well in Fantasy Fottball, hor??
3) just who were you thinking of when you suggested "creative influence higher up the pitch"?? if it was a case of "horse back cannon", I can still close one eye ... but yours is really nothing more a case of "got say macam no say". :eek:

i have the utmost respect for rafa and love the guy, but he does make sum frustrating comments and decisions sometimes.
You're such a hypocrite ... how can you even say you RESPECT & LOVE someone when it's akin to you trying to teach a bird how to fly or a fish how to hold their breath underwater.

In Rafa I trust ... 'coz I know for a fact it's more than a uphill task to win the EPL after almost 2 decades of barren spell. Just imagine this ... if you never bonk for almost 20 years, you think just 2 weeks of Tongkat Ali is gonna make you the Black Stallion??

rahl
05-02-2007, 07:32 PM
No team on earth could have beaten the blueshites 9-0-1 formation today. Especially when all 9 defenders took up their places inside their own 18 yard box.

Apart from not sticking the ball in the onion bag, which was always the most likely case when you go against a team as negatively-minded as this, our boys battered the crap out of them.

I don't agree with that bro. There are going to be tons of teams coming to Anfield to defend. We have to our credit battered most of them this season with good play, finishing and patience.

Against Everton we didn't achieve a high quality of play. They were pretty comfortable to be honest.

Of cos Rafa has to say what he has to say after a derby but he would have expected the "small clubs" to play defensively. It is his responsibility to pick the team that will unlock the defense and the players' responsibility to play up to standard.

I'm not too disappointed cos over the course of the season at home, we have destroyed most of the opposition, both big and small ;)

rahl
05-02-2007, 07:39 PM
On another note, you do remind me of the typical USMS submissions ... all very great at pointing out the problems, but never able to come up with any solution of significance:
1) if Crouch should be left on the bench ... who should have played instead, in view that Rafa ws using 3 strikers to force Everton into panic?? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, let's drop Crouch & play just 2 up front ... did Bellamy or Kuyt fare any better against that "school bus" parked in front of Howard??
2) Kewell & Sissoko ... dun you know both are still short of match fitness & you wanna play them in the 150kmh derby?? You must have been doing very well in Fantasy Fottball, hor??
3) just who were you thinking of when you suggested "creative influence higher up the pitch"?? if it was a case of "horse back cannon", I can still close one eye ... but yours is really nothing more a case of "got say macam no say". :eek:

Well both of you have your point so I am not gonna butt in but I will say Rafa could have made substitutions to change the game. He has done this regularly enough so it's surprising only Robbie came on 5 mins before the end.

E.g. I would have put in Aurelio on the left to put in some decent crosses cos Riise wasn't getting much luck there. Or take off one of the defenders cos AJ was alone up front all game.

But before you say I play fantasy football, I will stop here. It was a tough game with fine margins and at the end of the day we weren't good enough. We move on and try to win on another day.

hawksbay
05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
come on u fellow reds its just a minor setback.we cant win them all.so cheer up guys.:cool:

KingEros
05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I would have put in Aurelio on the left to put in some decent crosses cos Riise wasn't getting much luck there. Or take off one of the defenders cos AJ was alone up front all game.
1) Aurelio still has a niggling injury ... ie, not 100%
2) Aurelio is still very much a foreigner to the English game, not to mention a derby game at 150kmh.

With 3 defenders, AJ still nearly nicked one in ... you think Rafa got the balls to play a flat 4??

But before you say I play fantasy football, I will stop here.
Nah, I won't do that ... your past track record has enough credibility to suggest you're a True Koppite, a Red fan associated with knowledge of the game (not just a mouth that shouts or bitches every time we dun win). :D

It was a tough game with fine margins and at the end of the day we weren't good enough. We move on and try to win on another day.
That I agree whole-heartedly ... but on the day, that's about as good as we would ever get this season. My sentiments are "we try to learn & build on the hunger to wanna win every bloody game next season".

LSB_Fan
05-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I think Crouch had a bad game... We have Reina to thank for the draw... How Andy Johnson did not score after our defence screwed up was beyond me ... phew :rolleyes:

libraguy75
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Rafa's right - only one team tried to win the match. The Neverton formation and tactics were all about damage limitation. There was no way any strikeforce in the Premiership was going to be able to navigate it's way through a penalty area that resembled a mosh pit.

tried telling that to the blues....

Its was damn $@^#%& to watch the blues in the match...

they might as well all 'fall-in' in front of the goalpost and let us shoot from outside the penalty box...

:(

KingEros
05-02-2007, 11:49 PM
TEAMtalk's James Marshment explains why Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez was spot-on in his assessment of Everton as a 'small team' this weekend.

Rafa Benitez has caused something of a stir this weekend by calling Everton a 'small team'.

So why all the fuss? Benitez is only stating what everyone in football, (minus deluded Everton supporters) already knows to be the truth.

Everton have long lived in the shadow of their more illustrious rivals, bar for their golden era of the 1980s under Howard Kendall when they had, admittedly, as good a club side this country has seen in modern times.

Even then though, their League championship triumphs in 1985 and 1987 and their European Cup Winners Cup triumph in 1985 were probably overshadowed by Liverpool's Double in 1986.

But Kevin Ratcliffe, Neville Southall and Co are now long forgotten and David Moyes' current class of 2007 are just not in the same league as either their predecessors or Rafa's Reds.

True, Tim Cahill and Mikel Arteta are a touch of class on their day and it surely won't be too long before some of Europe's big guns come calling for these two supremely-talented midfielders.

And if there is a more suited player in the English game to assume Paul Scholes' eventual mantle at Manchester United than Cahill, then I have yet to see him...

But let's not wander too far away from the fact of the matter here: Everton are the second-best team in Liverpool so therefore as a 'small-minded' (if not a 'small') club, would regard a point at Anfield as a great result. That, coupled together with a 3-0 victory over the Reds back in September, probably means that for Everton supporters, the 2006/07 campaign will be regarded as a successful season.

Everton fans might count Benitez's comments as that of a bitter manager, frustrated by his side's inability to crack a defence expertly marshalled by Alan Stubbs, Joseph Yobo and the ever-improving Joleon Lescott.

And whilst there is an element of truth in that assessment, you can't help but admiring Benitez's honesty in stating what all football fans were thinking. No-one wants to watch a side sticking 10 men behind the ball and showing no ambition to gain anything more than a dreary point. Everton went to Anfield with 'small ideas', 'small-minded tactics' that befit everything associated with a 'small team' with a 'small mentality'.

So was Benitez wrong to say what he did? No, because it was the truth. The fact that he touched a nerve in every bitter Everton supporter nationwide is not his fault.

I mean, it must be hard being an Evertonian. No-one wants to watch their most bitter rivals collect trophy after trophy over the years and even rain on their parade when they were in fact themselves quite good.

As a supporter of a team who have fallen on far harder times than the likes of Everton, I'm easy ammunition for any bitter Toffees. And I admit, if my team went to Anfield, we'd be lucky to get away with a 5-0 stuffing. And if we collected a point, then I suppose I too would be celebrating. But that's the point that Everton are missing. It was a great point for them because for a 'small team' living on past glories (and recent qualification for the preliminary stages of the Champions League does not count!) a draw at Anfield is to be savoured.

Rafa's frustration was that when Chelsea came to Anfield recently, they didn't come looking for a point. They came looking for three. Big team equals big mentality. As a result, Liverpool were able to play their natural game and collect a victory that was possible because they weren't facing 11 men with the sole intention of suffocating the life out of what should have been a decent game.

Therefore, who can say Rafa was wrong? Small team, small expectations, big point.

Exactly my sentiments ... :D

KingEros
05-02-2007, 11:52 PM
We have Reina to thank for the draw... How Andy Johnson did not score after our defence screwed up was beyond me ... phew :rolleyes:
I beg to differ ... in that paticular gilt-edged chance for AJ, if Carragher did not dive in to pressure AJ after he managed to turn the ball onto his stronger right foot ... we won't even get to see Reina do his "I dun remember much" heroics. ;)

Sirus_The_Virus
06-02-2007, 02:10 PM
What's wrong with calling a spade what it really is ... ie, a spade??
Everton's a club who had to sell Rooney ... their genius of a find.
Everton's a club Rooney decide to leave ... despite the fact that he grew up supporting them.
Adding fuel to the fire, Everton's a club who can't even hold onto a certain Tomas Gravesen.
If this is not a small club, then what is??
Yes, we're talking about facilities, ambitions & wealth ... :eek:

I heard Rafa called them a small team? It's not surprising, because they played like a small team away. They played with a 4-5-1 with Arteta on the right (not an attacking winger but a midfielder). They pressed our midfield well to be honest, and after the first mad 15 minutes, they hand tied our midfielders. Alonso couldn't get much of the ball, neither did Gerrard who came to deep positions in order to get some of the ball.

We tried too much to do harm from the middle, and we should have used more Pennant, as the wings are the key against this small team tactics.

Bellamy made the role of Luis Garcia. He put more work than Luis, but less abilty to break up defences. But I think that even if LG was in the pitch, the path to victory wouldn't come from the middle, but proper use of wings.

When Rafa put Fowler in the pitch, he did so because the small team did not press up any longer and seemed very happy with the point, so they sit back waiting for us. With an scenario of 15 minutes, an ultradefensive oposition, and our midfielders having more space, perhaps it was the moment of Fowler. But Rafa should have awaken the left wing just after the half time, and I missed a substitution in the early stages of the second half.

Everscum did their small team work well, to be honest. For instance it's very typical to try to surprise the way Bellamy did in the disallowed goal. But they were aware enough to remove the man in the post in that corner and putting Bellamy off side. They did their stuff well.

But we should be more clever not to stumble twice in the same stone. We did the same mistakes in their small stadium :o

So, those bitter bluenoses kept two clean sheets against us.

If they're happy to dine off that for the rest of the season then let 'em go hungry.

Luckily for them they're the small people's club, so they don't need much food to keep 'em going anyway, bunch of witless smurfs!

Sirus_The_Virus
06-02-2007, 02:18 PM
...he's said 'smaller teams' out of bitterness, stooping to their level - he knows how big a game this was in terms of our title aspirations so having a dig at the intertoto-bluesh1te should be the last of his concerns.

Don't see what all the fuss is about. Rafa was right in what he said, no different to me then when Everscum proclaimed themselves "the peoples' club" knowing full well it was a swipe at us.

Sign of a small club living in your shadow - They bring out a DVD when they beat you 3-0 haha :p

kb_soo80
06-02-2007, 02:34 PM
TEAMtalk's James Marshment explains why Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez was spot-on in his assessment of Everton as a 'small team' this weekend.

Rafa's such a legend for that quote
The bitters are fuming. But it's true. They are a smaller club than us :D

Anyway bros, I've been informed that there was a fan in the main stand, who during the game, collapsed and died.

RIP
YNWA :(

canthaveenuf
06-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Aiya, small team or not, let's forget about it lah and move on. The fact remains that we did not beat a small team. Yes they may be small, but IMHO, a great manager shouldn't say such things, if not may appear petty. Quite a pity becos Rafa is actually a very respectable manager and always say very reasonable and meaningful things. Maybe this time he really pek-chek. Who wouldn't be?

Anyway, if we are a great team, we should be able to beat all the small teams. There can be no excuse.

Never mind lah bros, one point gain still better than losing to a Andrew Johnson goal right? Anyway, we got more important games to look forward to, this weekend against Newcastle and next against Barca. And tomorrow (or is it today) we will know the investment result. Let's hope everything goes fine and we get new and passionate owners that will inject the much needed cash.

Cheers

Cummon
06-02-2007, 09:04 PM
LIVERPOOL FC RECOMMENDS OFFER FOR CLUB
Paul Eaton 06 February 2007
Liverpool FC today announced that the Board have agreed the terms of an offer for the Club from Mr George Gillett and Mr Tom Hicks. The Board are unanimously recommending that the Club’s shareholders accept this offer.
Full details of the offer were announced earlier today to the Stock Exchange.

Commenting on the offer, David Moores, Chairman of Liverpool said:
“I believe this is a great step forward for Liverpool, its shareholders and its fans. This Club is my passion and forms a huge part of my life. After much careful consideration, I have agreed to sell my shares to assist in securing the investment needed for the new stadium and for the playing squad. I urge all my fellow shareholders to do the same and to support the offer. By doing so, I believe you will be backing the successful future of Liverpool Football Club.

"I am also delighted to accept the offer from the Hicks and Gillett families to continue my involvement in the Club by becoming Honorary Life President.”

Rick Parry, Chief Executive of Liverpool, commented: “This is great for Liverpool, our supporters and the shareholders – it is the beginning of a new era for the Club.

“The partnership created by George and Tom is very special. They are bringing to the table tremendous and relevant experience, a passion for sport, real resources and a strong commitment to the traditions of Liverpool. Their approach represents exactly the sort of genuine partnership that Liverpool has been seeking over recent times.

“We know that George and Tom want a long-term relationship with Liverpool and that they also understand the importance of investing in our success both on and off the field. They have made clear their intention to move as quickly as practicable on the financing and construction of our proposed new stadium at Stanley Park and also to support investment in the playing squad.

“This has been an important time for the Club. We now have the right partners for the future. I am absolutely certain we have now ended up in the right place, with owners who will help the Club succeed and prosper.”

Commenting on the offer, George Gillett and Tom Hicks said: “Liverpool is a fantastic club with a remarkable history and a passionate fanbase. We fully acknowledge and appreciate the unique heritage and rich history of Liverpool and intend to respect this heritage in the future. The Hicks family and the Gillett family are extremely excited about continuing the Club’s legacy and tradition.

“We are particularly pleased that David Moores and Rick Parry will have a continuing involvement in the Club. For us continuity and stability are keys to the future.”

Cummon
06-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Looks like we are gonna into a new era......hopefully the future is RED,the future is Rosy

There were reports you were interested in a ground share…

Tom Hicks: I can categorically say we have no interest in a ground share with any other team. We are going to build the finest team for the finest stadium in the Premier League and that is Liverpool.
George Gillett: I don't know how this story got started. It didn't get started with us. I look forward to meeting the officials from Everton some day because we are both in this wonderful city, but I have never authorised anyone to talk or act on our behalf relative to the possibility of ground sharing. I have no idea where this has come from. It was not true and we can categorically deny it.

The first time I met Rick Parry I asked him the question and that's the only time I can recall the topic coming up. He looked me in the eye and said that if I ever brought that topic up in a serious way again then I could have his resignation because he wouldn't be involved with or support that kind of discussion. That was very clear and so the subject never came up again from our side.

More recently someone close to the club said that if the topic did come up then it was the surest way possible for us to be lynched.

We want to build the greatest facility for the players and the fans and make this the best location for players to play and for fans to come.

Can we bring the title here under your ownership?

George Gillett: I really hope so. Rick has told me of a Shankly saying that 'first is first and second is nowhere' and that sounds good to us.

coolfire69
06-02-2007, 10:14 PM
MOORES: GILLETT AND HICKS ARE RIGHT FOR LFC
Paul Eaton 06 February 2007

David Moores talks to Liverpoolfc.tv after agreeing to sell his shareholding in the club to George Gillett and Tom Hicks.
david moores

Liverpoolfc.tv: How are you feeling after agreeing a deal to sell the Club?

David Moores: It's like a big relief. It's been a long and arduous journey over the past three years and there has been quite a lot of pressure and stress to contend with. At the end of the day I have managed to battle on until we got what we considered to be the best outcome for the club and the supporters going forward.

What is it about the deal which has convinced you it's the right one for the club?

There has never been any dithering on my part, I want to stress that. People know me and they know that if I had the money to afford the stadium – which is the main thing – then I would have done it myself. I wouldn't hold the club back and I wouldn't want to hold it back. It's an emotional time for me because my family has been involved in this club for fifty years. We had to find the money for the stadium and players so that the manager could have good funds each season.

I met George Gillett in Montreal in November and I was very taken with him. What he has done with the Montreal Canadiens and the arena they have built there is outstanding. He had a bit of a tough time when he first went to Canada in convincing people, but he has won them all over and is like a God there now. He has done a tremendous job.

Seeing his passion and what he has achieved was impressive. I liked his bubbliness. He's a character who is just very passionate about sport. He isn't dour, he'll be very forward and will tell it like it is. I know less about Mr Hicks but I also know he is very passionate. George is a very bubbly character who wants to see Liverpool winning everything. Trophies are what he is after.

When we were contemplating the two bids and decided to give DIC the exclusivity, George was very gracious and wished them good luck. He said he had immense respect for Dubai, that they were good people and that he wished us all the best for the future. I told George we couldn't see where he would have enough money for the stadium and players going forward and, to his credit, he went away and came back with Mr Hicks who is another very passionate sports person. Between the pair of them, I feel we have got very strong owners going forward. I believe that these two men will want to win things. They have proved that with their respective clubs. They are in it for the long term because they are involving their sons so you can plan for the future. This isn't someone coming over just to make a quick buck.

How tough was it to decide between DIC and the Gillett/Hicks offer?

I can only make this decision once. I only get one chance with it and there were a few things that just weren't quite right with DIC. The longer it went on the more concerns I had. I just asked if I could have two or three days to clear my mind and think over a few points I wasn't sure about and, unfortunately, we were only given six hours. It was such a major decision for me to make and I had to get it right.

Don't get me wrong, the people we dealt with from DIC were very honest men. I wouldn't have a bad word said about them but at the end of the day it wasn't them who were calling the shots. We never saw the top people. If we had a worry or wanted to clarify something then it had to go back to the top men.

We have not dithered in any way. We have made considered judgements. When you have a decision to make like this and you are so desperate to see the club go into the right hands then you have to be comfortable with whatever you decide.

Nobody gives ultimatums to one of the world's great institutions. It should never be thought that we considered George as our second choice. The fact that he came back with a second bid shows you how passionate he was about taking over the club.

Are you disappointed the way things ended with DIC?

I was a bit upset about being called dishonourable because I have never been dishonourable in my life. It was hard to take coming from somebody I have never seen. I don't want to get involved in slanging matches. As I said, I have great respect for the people I dealt with.

Some people have said you've taken the decision which has given you the most money…

If the DIC deal had gone ahead, even if Gillett had come back, then I'd have accepted their offer. I can't speak for the other directors but at the end of the day I'd rather not have the money and be able to stay as Chairman. It's upsetting that some people have said I'm in this for the money. I think the fans know that's not the case. I'm proud of our fans and I'm extremely proud to be one of them.

How big a decision has this been in your life?

It's the biggest decision I've ever had to make. If you are as passionate as I am about the club then I can't have been easy to live with over the past few years but my wife has been very supportive to me throughout. I've had a lot of help from my chief executive who has been absolutely spot on and I don't know how I'd have coped without him. It's quite lonely up there and it's always good to have good people around you and I have certainly had that.

How hard has it been to let go?

It is very hard to think it won't be my club anymore. Having said that, I am handing it over into safe hands because I can't afford to take the club any further forward. I haven't got that money and I'm not going to bankrupt the family.

What does the future hold for this club now?

I'll still be around for them to ask my opinions and Rick will still be here as chief executive. There are exciting times ahead with a brand new stadium, although I'll have regrets when we see the last days of this place. There's so much history here but we're land-locked and can't move on. I'd love to stay here but it's just impossible.

Where can George Gillett and Tom Hicks take this football club?

Hopefully to a place I was never able to manage – Premiership champions! That was the only one I never won as Chairman and that bugs me a bit. They can make us the best in England and make us able to compete and do better than Chelsea and Man United.

We've got an exceptional manager and he will have the funds to take the club forward and bring in world class players.

Could any other club have gone through this process without the fans getting impatient waiting for news on the investment search?

This is a very special club, more special than any other club in the world. The supporters have been tremendous to the club and tremendous to me.

There have been a few times when I thought they might turn on me but they never did. I think it's because they trust me. I tell it like it is and I'm always honest and fair to the fans because I am one of them and always will be.

Will the club change radically?

The two new people have both given their assurances that the same management team will be in place and there will be no change for the club's employees. My understanding is that there won't be a lot of interference because they are happy with the way the club has been run.

Are there any areas of the club which could do better under them?

Perhaps on the commercial side. I don't think we have maximised our world brand and hopefully they will help us to get into these areas where we have the fantastic fan bases.

Will you still play an active part around the club?

I will help out as much as they want me to help out. I'll still be going to every game, that's for sure. It wasn't part of the deal for me to stay around, they insisted it should be that way because they know I understand the club.

I've had a great time as Chairman. There have been good times and bad times but the good ones have far outweighed the bad. No-one can ever take away from me the fact that I was Chairman on the night we won the Champions League in Istanbul. Since the start of the new millennium we've won more trophies than any other club so it hasn't been all doom and gloom.

I'm so relieved the club can now move forward with a new stadium and more money. I have definitely made the right decision.

(Extracted from liverpoolfc.tv

Finally, the truth is out, and hopefully, things will be better for our club from now... :D

KingEros
06-02-2007, 10:28 PM
With an scenario of 15 minutes, an ultradefensive oposition, and our midfielders having more space, perhaps it was the moment of Fowler.
Ditto ... but alas, God was lacking match-fitness.
At that kind of distance, onto his potent left foot ... he would have buried the ball in the net with his eyes closed, if this was like 3-5 years ago. :D

Sign of a small club living in your shadow - They bring out a DVD when they beat you 3-0 haha
No kidding?? Must get my hands on this collector's item ... I could be earning a big paypacket, considering that this will probably never happen again in a 100 years!!! :rolleyes:

KingEros
06-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Rafa's such a legend for that quote.
The bitters are fuming. But it's true.
Just like Bill Shankly has been remembered for "There are 2 teams in the city of Liverpool ... LFC & LFC reserves."
Come to think of it, I dun recall the BlueScums release any fart about "a LFC manager should not be saying this" ... all becoz Rafa is a foreigner on British shores & doing very well at what he's paid for too. :cool:

The fact remains that we did not beat a small team. Yes they may be small, but IMHO, a great manager shouldn't say such things, if not may appear petty. Quite a pity becos Rafa is actually a very respectable manager and always say very reasonable and meaningful things. Maybe this time he really pek-chek. Who wouldn't be?
Sounds like you disagree with the erecting of the Shankly Gates then??
All great managers wanna win & their agression will spill onto their behaviour after every match they really should have won ... nothing wrong with that - just look at Ferguson, Wenger & Mourinho. For one thing, I've never known any nice guys who come in first. :D
Years down the road, the next generation will respect Rafa for being totally honest (in calling them small clubs, like everybody else really wanted to but dared not), if not being blatantly witty too.

kingcopa
07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
We got new owner n will be moving to a new stadium. Future look good for us. I begin to understand the feeling of Chelski fans liao, 'We dun care who own the team, we onli wanna see our team success'

Abit sad to see anfield becoming history. Will save up to visit the KOP before it tear down.

LSB_Fan
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Lets hope that the new money heralds an era of success for Liverpool... gives us an equal footing to compete in the transfer market.

Happy Chinese New Year to all Fans... :D

canthaveenuf
07-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Sounds like you disagree with the erecting of the Shankly Gates then??
All great managers wanna win & their agression will spill onto their behaviour after every match they really should have won ... nothing wrong with that - just look at Ferguson, Wenger & Mourinho. For one thing, I've never known any nice guys who come in first. :D
Years down the road, the next generation will respect Rafa for being totally honest (in calling them small clubs, like everybody else really wanted to but dared not), if not being blatantly witty too.

Not dat I want to argue over this lah, but I just feel that one can still be a great manager without resorting to belittling your opponents. Maybe I come from the old school but I always believe in being gentleman and a gracious loser. There are great and respectable managers who win great things and say loud and big things, but then, there can also be great and respectable managers who win big things without having to do such things. I dun know if there are any such managers around or exist in the past, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Just to clarify hor, I still respect Rafa as a great manager so far despite wat he said abt Everton. :)

Cheers

chairman-mao
07-02-2007, 10:41 PM
i am new in SBF but have been a REDS for !7 yrs. So gald to see that
"I'll Never Walk Along"

KingEros
07-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Not dat I want to argue over this lah, but I just feel that one can still be a great manager without resorting to belittling your opponents. Maybe I come from the old school but I always believe in being gentleman and a gracious loser. There are great and respectable managers who win great things and say loud and big things, but then, there can also be great and respectable managers who win big things without having to do such things. I dun know if there are any such managers around or exist in the past, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Not arguing ... :D
Just wanna highlight 2 issues:
1) how can you say it's belittling when it happens to be the truth??
2) was just about to ask you for examples ... when you also concede yourself on whether such angels of a manager can exist

Cummon
08-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Frankly speaking,I was also a bit surprised when Rafa lashed out this 'small' club comments coz that's not the usual him. Most of the Reds in England would applaud him on this as the tribal feelings are much stronger over there.
We are Liverpool with big heart,we don't need to call others small to make us look big or sound big,we are always Big & Great,aren't we ?

onion_rings
08-02-2007, 08:38 AM
"I'll Never Walk Along"

Hi chairman from PRC, U mean "I'll Never Walk Alone" tio bo?:D Anyway welcum aboard :cool:

wukong68
08-02-2007, 09:43 AM
"I'll Never Walk Along"

Welcome to Anfield!

You Never Walk Alone!

LSB_Fan
08-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't think we can expect managers at big clubs to praise opponents... I mean look at Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger... So why should Rafa be different. Everton is a small club, with small ambitions. They are able to eke out good results... but that's all... The difference is Liverpool is expected to win titles, whereas Everton is expected to qualify and 'do well'.

chairman-mao
08-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi chairman from PRC, U mean "I'll Never Walk Alone" tio bo? Anyway welcum aboard :cool:

Thank you:D

canthaveenuf
08-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Not arguing ...
Just wanna highlight 2 issues:
1) how can you say it's belittling when it happens to be the truth??
2) was just about to ask you for examples ... when you also concede yourself on whether such angels of a manager can exist

Sometimes truth hurt mah. It is true Everton is small compared to Liverpool, but that doesn't give Rafa the right to belittle them like dat. If Liverpool is a small club, would you like your opponent to belittle you like dat? Won't feel nice right even if it is the truth. My opinion is still that you can win big and gracious, but you can also lose gracefully.

No, I did not question whether such an "angel manager" can exist. What I said was that I dun know if one exist before or not, and if it doesn't exist yet, it doesn't mean it can't exist. Maybe my England not so powderful lah. :D

Anyway, enuf of this "small" thing lah.

Let's rejoice for the moment the takeover news and hope that we are on the right track to greatness, which we truly deserve.

Cheers

canthaveenuf
08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't think we can expect managers at big clubs to praise opponents... I mean look at Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger... So why should Rafa be different. Everton is a small club, with small ambitions. They are able to eke out good results... but that's all... The difference is Liverpool is expected to win titles, whereas Everton is expected to qualify and 'do well'.

IMHO, I would rather prefer Rafa to be different. Why be lumped together with ppl like Mourinho, Ferguson and Wenger. I believe these folks have shown themselves to be sore losers before. Do we want a Liverpool manager to be also known as a sore loser?

Cheers

canthaveenuf
08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Frankly speaking,I was also a bit surprised when Rafa lashed out this 'small' club comments coz that's not the usual him. Most of the Reds in England would applaud him on this as the tribal feelings are much stronger over there.
We are Liverpool with big heart,we don't need to call others small to make us look big or sound big,we are always Big & Great,aren't we ?

My sentiments exactly. :D

Cheers

syst
09-02-2007, 03:05 AM
IMHO, I would rather prefer Rafa to be different. Why be lumped together with ppl like Mourinho, Ferguson and Wenger. I believe these folks have shown themselves to be sore losers before. Do we want a Liverpool manager to be also known as a sore loser?

Cheers

I think Rafa was taking a page out of Shankly's book. Shankly had in the past made much much more disparaging comments about Everton and for that, he was so loved even more by the Kop. Rafa is striving to achieve Shankly's status and maybe his statements were calculated to rile up the Blues while rousing the Reds, the way Shankly used to do.

Cheers, and YNWA!:)

KingEros
09-02-2007, 06:58 AM
I think Rafa was taking a page out of Shankly's book. Shankly had in the past made much much more disparaging comments about Everton and for that, he was so loved even more by the Kop.
Exactly my point ... but maybe the lot here are too young to remember.
It is also possible that the love for LFC is not really that deeply rooted ... :rolleyes:

Regaine
09-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Since it was announced that Liverpool FC had been sold. Looking forward to the new era that looks promising.:D

beck7777
09-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Since it was announced that Liverpool FC had been sold. Looking forward to the new era that looks promising.:D

Yes indeed... Future looks good for Liverpool...

Debts free, more cash to spare, Rafa can now solely focus on the EPL...

Maybe another Champion league suprise for us? :D

ProfessorOokami
09-02-2007, 10:00 AM
"I'll Never Walk Along"

Yeah, the East is RED...Chairman Mao!

I am a Liverpool FC fan for 35 years :D ...Welcome aboard and I shall walk ALONG with you and others so that you all dont walk ALONE...

ah_ray
09-02-2007, 01:05 PM
If I have to be honest I'm not too happy.

I don't like the first thing they do is to change the name of LFC to Liverpool Reds, I hope that in TV when I watch the score I won't see Liverpool Reds 2 - 1 Glasgow Rangers.

I'd like them just to help in the money stuff, but if If I've learnt something in this life is that nobody gives money for free and no interest. A new stadium has been the source of troubles for many clubs, I'm just a bit worried about all this, but I just rely on Parry and Moores, I'm sure they wouldn't let the club go to the bad path :o

ah_ray
09-02-2007, 01:10 PM
My sentiments exactly. :D

Cheers

Haha yup bro, I think Rafa scored an own goal with that remark but it has been blown out of proportion.

Rafa's English is still not the best and he tends to class the top 4 and the top European sides as "big teams" and everybody else as "small teams". I think had English been his first language he would have couched his intention in more careful words. I don't think Rafa was dismissing Evershit as a small club, but rather one of the also rans, a mid table side as opposed to one of the big guns.

Evershit are a big club but they are kidding themselves that they are one of the "big guns": they haven't been since 1989. I think Rafa didn't intend to slate Evershit as a club but rather point to their lack of ambition and current modest playing resources. In that he is correct, but I think he made a mistake in making any comment, as Evershit will blow it completely out of proportion. I haven't been on any Evershit websites lately but I have no doubt that Bluekipper will be burning effigies of the man and will have numerous members going on about they hate Fat Rafa Beneathus (hilariously ironic monicker) :(

Sirus_The_Virus
09-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Haha yup bro, I think Rafa scored an own goal with that remark but it has been blown out of proportion.

Rafa's English is still not the best and he tends to class the top 4 and the top European sides as "big teams" and everybody else as "small teams".(

LOL!! Agreed. That was a spanish expression lost in translation. Meaning that you can tell that to a Valencian that comes to your stadium to put the bus in the goal -- ie too defending :p

But that said, it's said normally to irritate the opposition.

Sirus_The_Virus
09-02-2007, 01:23 PM

Cheers

Bro,

I think it was planned. Rafa knows about the rivalry between us and this season after beating us at theirs they came too ours and defended. This statement will cut them to the bone and next time they come to Anfield they will have the pressure of trying to ram rafa's words down his throat and come out and play football. When they start playing football we will beat them :D

KLKOOL
09-02-2007, 01:30 PM

I am a Liverpool FC fan for 35 years :D ...Welcome aboard and I shall walk ALONG with you and others so that you all dont walk ALONE...
Welcome Prof :)

KLKOOL
09-02-2007, 01:36 PM

Cheers

Well.. if he wins us many trophies and brings back the glory days... he can belittle the opposition all he wants... :D

KLKOOL
09-02-2007, 01:38 PM
It is also possible that the love for LFC is not really that deeply rooted ... :rolleyes:

Wah... dun say like dat lah... I have supported Liverpool during the glory days... pains me to see the club go through a slump like this... letting Arsenal, Man U and now Chelsea get all the honours... :(

GhostFish
09-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Hiya all REDS fans!!!

Do we really care if Benitez has offended poor little Everton!

The very fact that they are acting as if they have won the Champions League because they took 4 points from 6 off us this term proves exactly what he said is right! They are a smaller team. Also their fans reaction to a draw when they expected to be hammered emphasises this even more :)

I don't know, we endure the least eventful derby for years and the Bluenoises STILL want to cause a ruck. Maybe it gives them a sense of importance and meaning, so let them hehe :D

chairman-mao
09-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes indeed... Future looks good for Liverpool...

Debts free, more cash to spare, Rafa can now solely focus on the EPL...

If beat Bac. think they stand a very gd chance.
I do have a funny feeling that they might just be one of the two finalist.

Offspring
09-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi all, me a liverpool fan for the past 28 years since i was 5. Inheritance passed down from my dad. Now trying to teach my 3.5 yr old daughter to love liverpool. She recognise my beloved logo already.

When shopping and passed by addidas shop, she will go... "LOOK DAD! Liverpool!!! Your FAVOURITE!" Wahahahahaa. It runs in the family.

After the takeover, lets see some exciting signings next season. Huteelar will be good. Alves should come too. Read some rumours in liverpool forum that rafa may go for torres in the summer to compete with manure and chelshit. Well, im not too sure about that. His goals to appearances ration have been poor.

YNWA!!!

canthaveenuf
09-02-2007, 07:07 PM

For me, this point is correct. Born in the wrong era wat, wat to do?

It is also possible that the love for LFC is not really that deeply rooted ...

Dun like dat say lah bro. To me, this point is NOT correct. One should never equate one's love for LFC with what he feels about what the manager has to say. To love LFC doesn't mean you have to agree with whatever the manager has to say. You mean just becos you love LFC, and the manager talk rubbish, you must clap hand, pat his back and say Well Done meh? If you love your wife, does it mean you have to agree with everything she says?:)

For the record, I have been a true blue LFC fan from the day I understand how to play and watch football. Granted not too good in LFC history (cos haven't lived long enuf mah) and stuff like dat, but doesn't mean the love is not deeply rooted lah. In success and defeat, I stand by LFC. :D

Cheers

canthaveenuf
09-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Salah lah bro, winning Champions League should not be a surprise anymore liao lah (hopefully) ....... hehehehe :D

Cheers

hotsoup16
09-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Hi guys,
Shall we arrange a firendly football session for all SBF Liverpool fans? Or maybe street soccer for those old man like me who can't last 90 mins any more?

KingEros
09-02-2007, 08:10 PM
To love LFC doesn't mean you have to agree with whatever the manager has to say. You mean just becos you love LFC, and the manager talk rubbish, you must clap hand, pat his back and say Well Done meh?
Never mind ... think we are from different planets.
Fact remains that the manager did not talk rubbish, so he cannot be credited for "belittling any club"
For example, did any Sillyporean took offence when we got called "that little red dot"?? ... ;)

rahl
09-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Fact remains that the manager did not talk rubbish, so he cannot be credited for "belittling any club"
For example, did any Sillyporean took offence when we got called "that little red dot"?? ... ;)

Aiyah bros why so much focus on one small comment. Personally I feel that if you look at Rafa as a manager and what he says overall, he is a reasonable, low-key person who values integrity, professionalism and never asks his players to cheat. One throwaway comment doesn't make or break him. In any case, it's only true that Evershite are shite. ;)

libraguy75
09-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Heh guys.....

Take it easy man.....

:)

YNWA EVER

syst
10-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Really really hope we win the league real soon. Gerrard is what, 27 years old already? He has probably only a couple of great years left in Pool and it would be so sad it one of our greatest ever retires without a league title...
YNWA!

Xgenre
10-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Yeah, it's our time to be hip. With world-class signings and attractive football, we will soon see our share of fair-weather fans. Those guys who support different teams in different years will soon join us and pretend they are hard-core fans. :rolleyes: (If it's not some ignorant busty babe, all else probably not welcomed.)

With such strong financial backing, it may be unsettling for the current team as some players will be sold to make space for future 'world-class' players. Who do you think will go? Crouch, Pennant, Fowler, Zenden, Dudek, Hyypia, Kewell? Riise?

canthaveenuf
10-02-2007, 06:04 AM
For example, did any Sillyporean took offence when we got called "that little red dot"?? ...

Same planet lah, but different viewpoints only. OK to have different views wat. :D

I didn't say Rafa talk rubbish lah. Like I say b4 I respect him. Just dat I feel he shd not have said wat he said. :)

And yes, being a true blue patriotic Sillyporean, I was offended by that Little Red Dot comment. If you are not offended by that comment, it doesn't mean you are not patriotic mah. You just have different level of tolerance. Nothing wrong with dat.

Cheers

canthaveenuf
10-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Aiyah bros why so much focus on one small comment. Personally I feel that if you look at Rafa as a manager and what he says overall, he is a reasonable, low-key person who values integrity, professionalism and never asks his players to cheat. One throwaway comment doesn't make or break him. In any case, it's only true that Evershite are shite. ;)

I also say so too. Let's move on. :D

Cheers

canthaveenuf
10-02-2007, 06:17 AM
With such strong financial backing, it may be unsettling for the current team as some players will be sold to make space for future 'world-class' players. Who do you think will go? Crouch, Pennant, Fowler, Zenden, Dudek, Hyypia, Kewell? Riise?

IMHO,

Dudek for sure. But got takers or not?

Zenden quite likely cos he is always injured, and we have other alternatives esp with the input of that South American chap (always got problem with his name) who recently just said he was happy he joined LFC and he is now a Red Devil (duh!!!)

Hyypia still got some value, esp if Agger is still finding his feet.

Fowler highly likely esp if Rafa managed to get the young Torres in.

Crouch, Pennant, Riise, Kewell -- hope they stay. We haven't seen the best of Pennant and Kewell yet. Riise is very useful down the left and we certainly could use his high energy and commitment.

Cheers

KingEros
10-02-2007, 08:19 AM
You mean just becos you love LFC, and the manager talk rubbish, you must clap hand ...
I didn't say Rafa talk rubbish lah.
This is why I said we are from different planets. You are NOT a distant relative of a certain Mr Chee or a particular Mr Gomez, are you?? :rolleyes:

And yes, being a true blue patriotic Sillyporean, I was offended by that Little Red Dot comment. If you are not offended by that comment, it doesn't mean you are not patriotic mah. You just have different level of tolerance. Nothing wrong with dat.
Let's leave patriotism out of the equation ... 'coz it's another can of worms.
You can be offended by "little red dot" but you can't dispute what people are saying ... ie, you can't say these people are "belittling your country", 'coz 8 out of 10 maps you pick up, you'll only be able to point out Sillypore as THAT little red dot. That's my point ... the blue lot from across the Mersey can be upset, but not at Rafa (or anybody else who call them a small club) simply becoz they are one!! ;)

I also say so too. Let's move on.
No worries, I see this as friendly banter ... we'll still never walk alone, right??

KingEros
10-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Dudek for sure. But got takers or not?
Free transfer lor ... what to do??

Zenden quite likely cos he is always injured
I've never liked this guy ... always thought Rafa bought him as our 4th choice (now that the Red Devils aspirant is here, he's dropped even down to 5th choice), simply becoz Rafa really thinks our pool of central midfielders are very very good. I know this is argumentative but he could only play 3 at most (if all were fit), even after switching to play 3-5-2.

Hyypia still got some value, esp if Agger is still finding his feet.
I dun think Agger is still finding his feet ... in fact, whenever we're playng pacy strikers (which is like 80% of the time in the EPL), Rafa's elected to leave Hyypia on the bench ... I mean, just last weekend, he's even played Finnan in that 3-men defence ahead of Hyypia.
IMHO, I think Rafa will accord Hyypia the respect for him to play out his contract & retire ... but whether Hyypia is ready to hang up his boots at the very top, that's another story.

Fowler highly likely esp if Rafa managed to get the young Torres in.
Same deal for Fowler ...
I dunno if Torres is really what we want or need ... in comparison, I think Villa should be a more prioritised buy. But then again, I'm not the one paid millions to make those decisions. :rolleyes:

canthaveenuf
10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
This is why I said we are from different planets. You are NOT a distant relative of a certain Mr Chee or a particular Mr Gomez, are you??

Alamak, my England really quite jia-lat hor .....

Just to clarify -- when I said "You mean just becos you love LFC, and the manager talk rubbish, you must clap hand ...", I meant it to mean any manager, not Rafa per-se. The operative word here is "the", not a specific manager like Rafa. And I meant it when I said I did not say Rafa was speaking rubbish, cos I have never said he was speaking rubbish at all. So, I am not a certain Mr Chee or Gomez ...... (dun wish to go into that Gomez thing lah, not very nice cos the "L***" word will come out) :)

Let's leave patriotism out of the equation ... 'coz it's another can of worms.
You can be offended by "little red dot" but you can't dispute what people are saying ... ie, you can't say these people are "belittling your country", 'coz 8 out of 10 maps you pick up, you'll only be able to point out Sillypore as THAT little red dot. That's my point ... the blue lot from across the Mersey can be upset, but not at Rafa (or anybody else who call them a small club) simply becoz they are one!!

Well, the way you said it, you seem to think that our southern neighbour was refering to us "Little Red Dot" in the physical sense. Yes, we are just a dot on the map, no question about that. But you have missed the underlying message they are putting across. I am not offended becos they say we are small in size (what is there to be offended about?), I was offended by what they are "actually" saying (or not saying). Just like Rafa's "smallness" thinggy. It was not about the size. The Blue half are not offended by that. Dun insult them like dat lah. :)

No worries, I see this as friendly banter ... we'll still never walk alone, right??[/QUOTE]

No problem. Me not offended at all. I always feel it is good to share opinions, esp about things we are passionate about. This way we can see things from different perspective mah.

Cheers

canthaveenuf
10-02-2007, 01:10 PM
I am those rather sentimental type wan ....

Quite a pity to see Dudek, Zenden leave, even if they are surplus to requirements. After all, Dudek helped us with that CL cup last time. Zenden well, pretty hardworking chap, just dat he always running around too much like a headless chicken.

Cheers

jootjoot
10-02-2007, 01:53 PM
We got new owner n will be moving to a new stadium. Future look good for us. I begin to understand the feeling of Chelski fans liao, 'We dun care who own the team, we onli wanna see our team success'

Abit sad to see anfield becoming history. Will save up to visit the KOP before it tear down.

indeed it's sad to see Anfield going into history of liverpool.
but will be looking forward to the state of the art stadium.
was discussing with my kakis, even though Gillett Jr & Hicks are not as rich as DIC, but Gillett Jr & Hicks have the passion for LFC.
lets hope Liverpool will achieve greater heights!
and a WIN for tonight's match against newcastle:D

LSB_Fan
10-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I also sentimental... really sad to see the end of Anfield ... sigh

Also, the end of an era with Dudek, Hyppia and Fowler on their last legs...

But with the rumored 100m pound transfer, we need more good signings, Looking at the talent pool... world class players in Liverpool include Reina, Carra, Gerard, Sissoko, Kuyt, Garcia

The rest are average or maybe on their best day... good, but we need better to challenge Chelsea, and Man Utd...

Some promising strikers I am sure Rafa will be looking at would include Huntelar, Villa and Torres ... but I feel Torres is overrated...

Flank players... maybe some one like Lennon or Alves...

But would love to have Owen back where he belongs hehehe

ProfessorOokami
10-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Welcome Prof :)

Hi KLK,

I didn't know that you are a Reds supporter as well :D...perhaps when we meet up, we will talk about Liverpool rather than spa-pool!

Cheers. Is the TCSS in KL still on?

NikonMan69
10-02-2007, 05:24 PM
With new found wealth/assets, surely LFC can provide massage and extra services for the players? ;)

KLKOOL
10-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi KLK,

I didn't know that you are a Reds supporter as well :D...perhaps when we meet up, we will talk about Liverpool rather than spa-pool!

Cheers. Is the TCSS in KL still on?

Sure... Shiok1968 also Pool fan... hehehe...

KingEros
11-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Freshly transcripted from the post-match conference ...

"The smaller clubs will always try their utmost to frustrate us, including their persistant refusal to rectify the stadium drainage system so that we cannot play our flowing attacking game."

:D :D

Offspring
11-02-2007, 01:38 AM
knn what a lost today. See also damm tu lan. Whole team perform poorly esp zenden.

PUI PUI PUI!

canthaveenuf
11-02-2007, 09:20 AM
What happened man !!! Really tu-lan. Are we going back to our losing ways again, just when we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel?

Quite unlucky actually since we had quite a few good chances in the first half to kill off the game.

Wonder how the new owners will feel. :confused:

The only good piece of news out of the game is that we have Sisoko and Zenden back from injuries.

Let's hope for a better showing against Barca next.

Cheers

GhostFish
11-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Another one of those games that we should have won comfortably. The combination of missed chances and bad mistakes has cost us yet again against a poor Newcastle side. We got exactly what we deserved for not killing off the geordies... haiz....

On the positive side we will have more money to spend in the summer and hopefully Rafa gets David Villa and Alves. We need more quality across the board to give us any chance of winning the Prem next season.
Kuyt missed an easy chance that he did well to create that would have put us 2-1 up. Should have been 5-0 up at half time. As for Martins' goal...

And is it just me or does Solano love playing against us? :confused:

KLKOOL
11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
OMG.. i watched the match and was really disgusted with the performance of the Team... like a bloody bunch of schoolboys. We really need more consistent performances and better players if we are to challenge for the title :cool:

rahl
11-02-2007, 10:38 AM
It's the kind of game which makes you feel you have been kicked in the balls. Yet it's been happening too frequently this season.

I won't say we played badly. We did well attacking and all credit to Bellars for running his socks off and creating chances although his finishing was rather hurried. I think that's what we need - composure, especially away.

And the defence - all the clean sheets before and then the comical goal we conceded yesterday. But the defence is an area we need to sort out. Anytime a team attacks with pace we are in trouble - remember Arsenal. You can literally smell the fear in our defence.

The bench wasn't too impressive last night. Cupboard threadbare already? Granted that Alonso was suspended and a couple of others not totally fit. Momo and Bolo looked rusty also, understandably so.

At the end of the day, we should have put the Barcodes to the sword by the end of the first half. Yet you get the growing feeling this was going to be one of those days, as the chances kept coming and going.

Barcelona away next. We got to do much much better than this.

Sirus_The_Virus
11-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Its only right that certain games like yesterday that Rafa needs to be criticized, the fans are screaming to change things around and he does the opposite.

He can be castigate, look at the United crowd 12 months ago they wanted Fergie out.
Rafa making mistakes doesn't mean people want him to leave, he can only learn by them.

He made another mistake today by not bringing Crouch on earlier to the game.
He has only been here 3 years now, he will learn in time, my biggest fear is when he does learn, he leaves and brings us No 19 then fecks off to Real.

We need creativity in our strikers, without it we won't finish easy chances. Rafa must buy a creative and a good finisher [Villa]

I thought if we had alonso yesterday, we would have had an advantage of his excellent passes, but it was a good comeback from sissoko, he fought for every ball and actually created an opportunity in the first half which bellamy should have buried!

Our finishing is woeful period. We miss easy chances week in and week out, sitters absolute sitters [look at Zenden].

I think it's a physiological thing more than ability wise. I can relate to it when you're playing footie and you have an easy chance, in your mind the ball is already in the net. And then you screw up.

Sirus_The_Virus
11-02-2007, 11:40 AM
OMG.. i watched the match and was really disgusted with the performance of the Team... like a bloody bunch of schoolboys. We really need more consistent performances and better players if we are to challenge for the title :cool:

I think the problem is the high tempo we play, I don't know how to translate the expression from Arabic to English, but if you are quick, you may regret it later. Maybe lowering the tempo a bit in games, you know, keep it cool, don't add pressure on the play, let the strikers keep their cool and they may end up scoring those easy chances :)

Sirus_The_Virus
11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
It's the kind of game which makes you feel you have been kicked in the balls. Yet it's been happening too frequently this season.

I won't say we played badly. We did well attacking and all credit to Bellars for running his socks off and creating chances although his finishing was rather hurried. I think that's what we need - composure, especially away.

And the defence - all the clean sheets before and then the comical goal we conceded yesterday. But the defence is an area we need to sort out. Anytime a team attacks with pace we are in trouble - remember Arsenal. You can literally smell the fear in our defence.

The bench wasn't too impressive last night. Cupboard threadbare already? Granted that Alonso was suspended and a couple of others not totally fit. Momo and Bolo looked rusty also, understandably so.

At the end of the day, we should have put the Barcodes to the sword by the end of the first half. Yet you get the growing feeling this was going to be one of those days, as the chances kept coming and going.

Barcelona away next. We got to do much much better than this.

Our strikers have pace, size, and creativity. Unfortunately, we don't have a striker that is not only able to create chances, but to finish them as well :( I'm sure everyone here agrees that this is beyond frustrating. We can't play like this against Barca. If players want to win over the fans and show their true worth, then I suggest they improve their performances. And fast :o

kb_soo80
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
We need creativity in our strikers, without it we won't finish easy chances. Rafa must buy a creative and a good finisher [Villa]

I thought if we had alonso yesterday, we would have had an advantage of his excellent passes, but it was a good comeback from sissoko, he fought for every ball and actually created an opportunity in the first half which bellamy should have buried!

Our finishing is woeful period. We miss easy chances week in and week out, sitters absolute sitters [look at Zenden].

I think it's a physiological thing more than ability wise. I can relate to it when you're playing footie and you have an easy chance, in your mind the ball is already in the net. And then you screw up.

I totally agree about the finishing.... it was terrible.

we could have won that game by far but we just couldn't score, and once they scored i knew we would regret those chances missed, and we did.

Something inspirational needs to happen soon to these players :(

Hai.... I think we can all forget about Villa joining us. The buyout on his contract is 100 million (at least thats what Chelsea were told) and if anything, he's got better since then.

Despite the new spending budget Rafa will have, he's not the sort of manager to blow silly money on one player regardless of how good he is...

I'm pretty sure its been mentioned that its roughly the same situation with Alves to so thats two players we are pining our hopes on of joining next season that arent really realistic :(

After watching the poor finishing displayed today its clear that we desperately need at least a new striker, any ideas other than Villa ?

Wowholing
11-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Boxing Day at Blackburn all over again. Had we buried the game in the first half like we should have I'm sure the Barcodes' heads would have dropped and we'd have the 3 points :mad:

Bellamy was simultaneously the best player and worst player on the pitch today. Got into freaking fantastic positions and then failed to finish the chances off. Kuyt looks a bit jaded at the moment and this jolly in Portugal might be just what he needs.

Our left side let us down today. Bolo is never a wide man and he's clearly no finisher. Utter liability out there and not who you want in the centre of the park... get rid!! As for Riise, well what can you say except he's making it easier to consider shipping him come summer. I've always liked Riise's heart and work ethic -- not to mention the odd goal--but, freak me, he seems determined to redefine mediocrity at LB.

Sissoko well off the pace today, chasing shadows in addition to being poor with his distribution. I know he needed to play today but, on this performance, Gerrard can expect to retain his CM birth after Xabi's return.

Finally, I too am puzzled by the lateness of Rafa's changes and the options he went for. Blooding Arbeloa at 2-1 down away seems very odd. And why give Crouch only 10 minutes? Was he really that knackered from a midweek friendly? With a water-logged pitch, a team running out of ideas and opponents who lack defensive nous at the best of times, would Route 1 to Crouch really have been such a poor strategy for the last 20 minutes?

And, could someone please tell me what the hell has happened to Mark Gonzalez? :confused:

KLKOOL
11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I think the problem is the high tempo we play, I don't know how to translate the expression from Arabic to English, but if you are quick, you may regret it later. Maybe lowering the tempo a bit in games, you know, keep it cool, don't add pressure on the play, let the strikers keep their cool and they may end up scoring those easy chances :)

Maybe... seems that they just done keep their cool in front of goal... they have to learn to keep the ball better... rather than rushing things...

Not so much the tempo (which i find wierd since Rafa is Spanish and they are seldom known for high tempo games... ) but rather a sense of anxiety, almost like they cannot shoulder the burden of expectation of their legions of fans...

Sirus_The_Virus
11-02-2007, 02:49 PM
After watching the poor finishing displayed today its clear that we desperately need at least a new striker, any ideas other than Villa ?

Lol Torres for me :D

Sirus_The_Virus
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Maybe... seems that they just done keep their cool in front of goal... they have to learn to keep the ball better... rather than rushing things...

Not so much the tempo (which i find wierd since Rafa is Spanish and they are seldom known for high tempo games... ) but rather a sense of anxiety, almost like they cannot shoulder the burden of expectation of their legions of fans...

Yup true, though honestly the permutation of kuyt, bellamy and crouch (given the limited resources we had to acquire players) is a vast improvement from the baros, cisse and occasional pongo, mellor combination.

Thing is, is the strike force good enough to challenge the top two? Think Henry, even Drogba, or Rooney (had a barren spell earlier) - providing persistent discomfort for opponents and putting chances away. We need a solution up front, and soon! Torres or Villa pls.. :)

Last night i was with a group of my kakis Reds gang, and after the match one of my friend ask, "So what now? Kaoz... The big clubs were winning. The "small club" won it too, and another small club even have taken away all the points from us. So are we big or small?"

Sheesh... piak his head :confused:

Sirus_The_Virus
11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
And, could someone please tell me what the hell has happened to Mark Gonzalez? :confused:

Gonzalez came from Chile on Friday and Benitez didn't want to use him as he was too knackered from the trip :(

How much do I not love international friendlies during the season...

KingEros
11-02-2007, 03:15 PM
What happened man!!!
1) the pitch was never gonna suit our usual game ... that's why Agger was repeatedly caught in 2 minds whether to go against Dyer pace for pace or slow down & concentrate on where the ball is gonna next get stuck in.
2) the importance of Alonso, although it has mostly been understated ... he doesn't play well, we drew with Everton ... he's not in the team, we get run all over in midfield.
3) the lack of match fitness in Sissoko & even Zenden ... they were always 1 step behind everything Parker, Taylor & Milner were doing - worst still, when Zenden is already a headless chciken, to begin with.

He made another mistake today by not bringing Crouch on earlier to the game.
I beg to differ here ... his choice of using pace (Bellamy & Kuyt) against big Onyewu & retarded Bamble was right - just see how many chances were created & how many freekicks won. Playing Crouch against Onyewu would have meant going at them outside of the superiority range.

Our finishing is woeful period. We miss easy chances week in and week out, sitters absolute sitters [look at Zenden]. Rafa must buy a ... good finisher [Villa]
This I agree with you wholeheartedly ... Bellamy & Kuyt are missing chances like what Andy Cole used to do - we could have easily wrapped up the game 3-0 or 3-1 in the first half.

And the defence - all the clean sheets before and then the comical goal we conceded yesterday. But the defence is an area we need to sort out.
Nowadays, at the high level of EPL play, defending is a group entity ... I can understand why Reina panicked - he was definitely not comfortable seeing Agger losing out (even in terms of static positional play) against the pacy Dyer. Just when I said Agger need not be in the shadows learning the ropes ...

canthaveenuf
11-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Despite the good results we had recently, we are still having loads of problems all over the place and it is beginning to show up badly. And at the critical juncture in time, Rafa had better get his act together, or else the fans will go for his throat, not to mention the new owners.

In defence, Agger lacks pace and didn't read the game well enuf last night. The comical goal wasn't actually Reina's fault. If only Agger had reacted earlier to the through pass.

Midfield was a mess. Without Alonso, there is little direction. Gerard was running around aimlessly again. Everytime Sisoko loses the ball and tries to get it back, my heart always jump becos I always fear his long legs will get entangled with opponent's legs and he will get a yellow/red card. I fear someday it will happen. Zenden again a headless, albeit energetic chicken. We need real control of the midfield and a director in there.

Up front, I support Rafa's decision to have Bellamy and Kuyt. Bellamy's speed did create loads of problems for Newcastle but the finishing was woeful. The problem is Kuyt. I feel that he is playing way to deep. And he keeps losing the ball in the midfield area. I recall when he first started, he was very energetic up front and created problems for opposition defence. But ever since Rafa decided to deploy 3 strikers, he had not been very effective since.

Really hope Rafa will sort out the problems fast. We are losing time and patience liao.

Cheers

KLKOOL
12-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Thing is, is the strike force good enough to challenge the top two?

Definitely NOT... We need proven world class strike force... someone like Owen we could always rely on... or Rush... I always felt Cisse was misused ... Kuyt needs time to settle... for me, Villa is a better bet than Torres.... we need someone in the mould of Rooney/Henry/Shevchenko... names that scare the living hell out of defenders and opposing managers, and gives time and space to other players to pop up and score...

Also... some better flank midfielders... guys like Robben/C.Ronaldo...

KLKOOL
12-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Really hope Rafa will sort out the problems fast. We are losing time and patience liao.

Cheers

And too many freakin points :mad:

KLKOOL
12-02-2007, 01:54 AM
This I agree with you wholeheartedly ... Bellamy & Kuyt are missing chances like what Andy Cole used to do - we could have easily wrapped up the game 3-0 or 3-1 in the first half.

Its not just the missing ... a low conversion rate of 1 in 10 can still win the title if the midfield can create enough chances... remember the howlers Andy Cole used have, but Man U still won...

I agree that we depend on Alonso a lot... and we need someone else like him as a backup... its not just the strike force... its the midfield service as well

LSB_Fan
12-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Well... I hope we can bounce back from this for the Barcelona match... and they are sure not a small team :cool:

KLKOOL
12-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Nbzzzz... Talking about own club also can get zap one meh ... :confused: :cool:

beck7777
12-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Its all down to poor finishing..

Again we have chances to win the game 3 times! Yet we can only benefit from a mistake..

To win games, you need to score... To score you need to finish off your chances...

Agreed that the field is crap, but Newcastle were also playing on the crap..

Agreed too Agger had a poor game... Hope this is an one off as he has been quite consistant in recent games....

One more thing I felt is lack of depth on the bench... Maybe we are missing Garcia too

So buck up Liverpool! You'll never walk alone!!!

Offspring
12-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Guess what? If arse won their game in hand, we will be in 4th. ARGH!!!

chairman-mao
12-02-2007, 12:04 PM

and sing You'll Never Walk Along :p

chairman-mao
12-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, it's our time to be hip. With world-class signings and attractive football, we will soon see our share of fair-weather fans. Those guys who support different teams in different years will soon join us and pretend they are hard-core fans. :rolleyes: (If it's not some ignorant busty babe, all else probably not welcomed.)

i think next season Fowler , Dudek & Zenden is for sure , but do hope to see Crouch go too. i think Hyypia still got one season to offer to us.

Offspring
12-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Time to go, retire:
Fowler, zenden, dudek, hyppia, cisse,

Time to drop, given a wake up call:
Riise, gonzalez, crouch, paletta, reina (for that horrendous mistake in nc), agger.

To be given another chance (potential):
pongolle, kewell (when not injured), paul anderson, danny guthrie, arbeloa (have not seen him much, bad time to make hie debut at nc),

World class signings:
Alves, Hutelaar, david villa.

KLKOOL
12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Time to go, retire:
Fowler, zenden, dudek, hyppia, cisse,

Time to drop, given a wake up call:
Riise, gonzalez, crouch, paletta, reina (for that horrendous mistake in nc), agger.

To be given another chance (potential):
pongolle, kewell (when not injured), paul anderson, danny guthrie, arbeloa (have not seen him much, bad time to make hie debut at nc),

World class signings:
Alves, Hutelaar, david villa.

Cisse not retire lah... but transfer out... I think Kewell has had enough chances... Riise is good as a backup... Pongolle should be give more chances...

Just my 2 sen...

stephan
12-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Cisse not retire lah... but transfer out... I think Kewell has had enough chances... Riise is good as a backup... Pongolle should be give more chances...

Just my 2 sen...

Pool will be strong, now they got a lot of money to buy good player!!!! ;) Next year pool can win the premier lge

canthaveenuf
12-02-2007, 06:58 PM

Haven't been following the UEFA stuff. Recently, Platini got the top job right? And his opinion is that each country can have only max 3 teams. Will that happen next season? If so, we must at least get 3rd this time.

Cheers

canthaveenuf
12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Pongolle should be give more chances...

I kinda like the Pongolle chap for his commitment and speed. Not much skill but he can be a good backup for Bellamy in the speed department. Problem is that he is always running around aimlessly, like a headless chicken, aka Zenden.

Cheers

rahl
12-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Our finishing is woeful period. We miss easy chances week in and week out, sitters absolute sitters [look at Zenden]

Actually "woeful finishing" is not foreign to many attacking top clubs - look at Scum and Arse and see how many chances their players have missed - not being biased here, but Rooney has missed a fair bit of sitters!

It's logical, the other top clubs create more chances and thus miss more also.

What differentiates them from us is that they can come from behind to win. That composure, that winning mentality is the mark of a championship team.

rahl
12-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I kinda like the Pongolle chap for his commitment and speed. Not much skill but he can be a good backup for Bellamy in the speed department. Problem is that he is always running around aimlessly, like a headless chicken, aka Zenden.

Cheers

Huh? Luis said Pongolle is the most skillful player in the team, and he should know.

canthaveenuf
12-02-2007, 09:42 PM

Just watched SportsCenter on ESPN.

Wow, if Arsenal is going to be helped by the referee in their remaining matches like what happened when they played against Wigan, we have all the top players in the team also no use. Not only was Wigan robbed by the blatant offside goal and a legal penalty appeal, but poor us too. It is a match the Gunners shouldn't have won.

Then, as if this was not bad enuf, we have Barca playing splendid football in the recent match against Racing in La Liga.

We are really going to have our work cut out for us this time.

Cheers

KingEros
12-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Haven't been following the UEFA stuff. Recently, Platini got the top job right? And his opinion is that each country can have only max 3 teams. Will that happen next season? If so, we must at least get 3rd this time.
It's not so simple ...
Platini used this ploy as carrot to get the lesser European nations to vote him in ... but when it comes down to the actual implementation, he runs the risk of the G14 (or is it G15) clubs walk out of the Champions' League & form one of their own. After all, would there still be TV revenue if Champions' League is about Albania's champ vs Iceland's champ??

Sirus_The_Virus
13-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Villa is a better bet than Torres.... we need someone in the mould of Rooney/Henry/Shevchenko... names that scare the living hell out of defenders and opposing managers, and gives time and space to other players to pop up and score...

Also... some better flank midfielders... guys like Robben/C.Ronaldo...

Haha after watching England-Spain that day and watching David Villa closley i couldnt help but get excited about the prospect of him lining up for Liverpool Reds next season.
He looks every inch the world class forward that others have said about him, holding the ball up with decent upper body strength, making clever runs in behind distributing the ball quickly and to the right player almost every time, and not afraid to have a shot from range if the space opened up.
He was fantastic imo, and if Valencia dont make the top 4 in la liga this season he will surely not want to miss out on next seasons champions league.
I know he has a ridiculous buy out clause but that just means we would have to pay a fee of around 20-25 million.
That would smash our previous record, but if we were to sign just 3 players, a couple of world class wingers and Villa then we would be a total different proposition :D

Sirus_The_Virus
13-02-2007, 12:21 AM
i think next season Fowler , Dudek & Zenden is for sure , but do hope to see Crouch go too. i think Hyypia still got one season to offer to us.

I want Liverpool to lift that title so I can brag about it down the pub, I want them to lift it because it will be the best day of my life. I want them to lift it because that's where we belong - but I also want them to lift it because Sami deserves it - Riise deserves it, Garcia deserves it. If we signed a load of players over the summer and 'did a Chelsea' I don't know that I'd feel the same. Part of this club is the bond between the players and the fans - and if that's severed I don't know if it really will be Liverpool winning the league... :)

snakehead
13-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Huh? Luis said Pongolle is the most skillful player in the team, and he should know.

Would have been different if Pongolle is spanish..... Rafa hates the french ! Think it was something that gotta do with his sacking in his 1st managerial job years ago.

snakehead
13-02-2007, 12:33 AM
.....And is it just me or does Solano love playing against us? :confused:

Solano has something to prove to Rafa....... last year he hinted he wants to come to Liverpool when Rafa was looking for a winger.
But Rafa says he's not good enough for Liverpool.

Sirus_The_Virus
13-02-2007, 12:50 AM
It's not so simple ...
Platini used this ploy as carrot to get the lesser European nations to vote him in ... but when it comes down to the actual implementation, he runs the risk of the G14 (or is it G15) clubs walk out of the Champions' League & form one of their own. After all, would there still be TV revenue if Champions' League is about Albania's champ vs Iceland's champ??

Yup agreed. G14 won't allow it i'm sure of it.
Besides G14 want to have another group stage again like there used to be.

I dare say the underachieving French sides are waiting with a greater degree of expectation than English, Spanish or Italian clubs.

The UEFA Executive Committee has 14 members including the President, so Platini's plan to reduce the max number of entrants from one member country in the CL is not his decision alone. As it is, the CL is a massive financial success and at the end of the day, surely money will talk louder :p

Platini may yet have to eat humble pie, as ASS Wenger had already commented that Platini may not be able to deliver his promises :D

Sirus_The_Virus
13-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Up front, I support Rafa's decision to have Bellamy and Kuyt. Bellamy's speed did create loads of problems for Newcastle but the finishing was woeful. The problem is Kuyt. I feel that he is playing way to deep. And he keeps losing the ball in the midfield area. I recall when he first started, he was very energetic up front and created problems for opposition defence. But ever since Rafa decided to deploy 3 strikers, he had not been very effective since.

Cheers

Sigh... starting to miss Owen already :(

Bellamy's a good player, so is Kuyt, but they are footballers, not natural goal scorers like Owen is. Owen didn't hold the ball up, he didn't link up play. He just put the ball in the back of the net. We need a striker who can do that, someone who can produce something from nothing. Man Utd had Van Nistelrooij, Chelsea has Joe Cole, we had Owen, and we need to replace him.

Crouch, Kuyt and Bellamy are good footballers who score goals, who are capable of scoring twenty goals a season, but they have a hard work ethic, they are footballers. They are not natural goal scorers who can produce something out of nothing. Certainly not on the level Owen did for us. If we sign a natural scorer, we will have a great strike force. We have three options; we need another option which will be very beneficial to us :)

KingEros
13-02-2007, 01:28 AM
..... Rafa hates the french! Think it was something that gotta do with his sacking in his 1st managerial job years ago.
:confused: what is this all about?? please substantiate. :eek:

Solano has something to prove to Rafa....... Rafa says he's not good enough for Liverpool.
& scoring a penalty in an otherwise anonymous (for Norberto) match would have changed that view??

canthaveenuf
13-02-2007, 05:29 AM

You mean Luis Garcia? Did he really say that?

Wow, he is funny. :D Didn't know he got such a good sense of humour.

If Pongolle is the most skilful player, what do we make of Gerrard, Alonso? hehehehe

Cheers

canthaveenuf
13-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Yup agreed. G14 won't allow it i'm sure of it.
Besides G14 want to have another group stage again like there used to be.

I dare say the underachieving French sides are waiting with a greater degree of expectation than English, Spanish or Italian clubs.

The UEFA Executive Committee has 14 members including the President, so Platini's plan to reduce the max number of entrants from one member country in the CL is not his decision alone. As it is, the CL is a massive financial success and at the end of the day, surely money will talk louder :p

Platini may yet have to eat humble pie, as ASS Wenger had already commented that Platini may not be able to deliver his promises :D

I hope Platini won't be able to deliver his promises cos at the rate we are going, we may very well be staring 4th place in the eye. Touch wood !!!

Dun know how the politics in UEFA works, but the fact that Platini gets the job means that he does have a certain level of support in UEFA. So, let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Cheers

canthaveenuf
13-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Man Utd had Van Nistelrooij, Chelsea has Joe Cole, we had Owen, and we need to replace him.

They are not natural goal scorers who can produce something out of nothing. Certainly not on the level Owen did for us. If we sign a natural scorer, we will have a great strike force. We have three options; we need another option which will be very beneficial to us

Just wondering -- does "Natural" translates to "Opportunistic"?

The way I see it, Owen and Van Nisteroy are those Opportunistic type. They will lurk around the penalty area and strike at the first opportunity, whether it is the first chance at goal or the 2nd ball.

In this respect, I do agree Crouch, Kuyt and Bellamy aren't exactly in that mould. We do need someone like dat to cover all angles.

Cheers

Offspring
13-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Would have been different if Pongolle is spanish..... Rafa hates the french ! Think it was something that gotta do with his sacking in his 1st managerial job years ago.

If i am not wrong, he never left spain to manage in franch lah dude. He was either in rayo vallencano or vallodolid (cant remember which) and real madrid B team before managing valencia to their best success ever.

He got fed up and left valencia due to the boards' intrusion in the transfer market. Thou rafa have made some bad signings like nunez, morienties, josemi, and that dutch rb, no one can take away his credit for the fa cup and CL wins.

He said time and again that liverpool youth system is way below standards and i agree with that. After the influx of players like macca, fowler and owen, we only see carragher and gerrard promoted from within in these past 5 to 6 years. Shows where we are lacking terribaly.

Now he is trying to build up a good youth squad with 5 signings this jan and some bright young english players are in our ranks like guthrie, peltier, martins, anderson, lindfield. Wherethe they make it to the big time depends on their determination but not forgetting, the coach abilities do plays a part too. So lets hope the young guns come thru. Time to build up on the youth fa cup success and bring them into the first team.

I liked what i see in danny guthrie. Some decent touches and good awarness of players moving around him during the game against barcodes. Definately one for the future.

snakehead
14-02-2007, 12:56 AM
If i am not wrong, he never left spain to manage in franch lah dude.

bro, I neber says he managed in france hor..... I said he hates the french cos they gave him much troubles when he was managing Real Valladolid which was his 1st club as manager until he got the sack after 23 winless games.

During his time there, he won only 2 games losing the rest.
There was a french midfielder named Daniel something (forgot his last name) who is only a so so player but Benitez was "forced" to play him every game cos his "godfather" is a major shareholder of the club.

The other players oso could not get along with this french guy so Real Valladolid was actually playing with 10 men most of the time. Not surprisingly they went down to bottom of the Liga.

The majority of the club's directors are french which was funny as this is a spanish club.

Years later when Benitez was managing Osasuna, he mentioned he tries not to sign any french players if he can help it during an interview.

I'm not surprised he mothball Cisse, Le Tallac, Pongolle..... they all french.

bro snakehead

rahl
14-02-2007, 08:58 AM
During his time there, he won only 2 games losing the rest.
There was a french midfielder named Daniel something (forgot his last name) who is only a so so player but Benitez was "forced" to play him every game cos his "godfather" is a major shareholder of the club.

Interesting, you dig up all his distant history ;)

It's clear that there are players the fans seem to rate like Pongolle, Warnock whom Rafa clearly doesn't. Which is a pity since he seems like a rational man on the surface.

Offspring
14-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Now i remember reading it from somewhere. Not sure about the french board but read about him being forced to play a player etc. Hehehe...

Pongolle can stay. Le and cisse abit of attitude. Ship them both out with zenden too. :D

Frankiestine
14-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Problem with Pongolle, he looks too light weight for the EPL...every time kena tackle abit start to fly all over the place...skillful and quick but I think too much like Diouf..tends to dive..

Sirus_The_Virus
14-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Just wondering -- does "Natural" translates to "Opportunistic"?

The way I see it, Owen and Van Nisteroy are those Opportunistic type. They will lurk around the penalty area and strike at the first opportunity, whether it is the first chance at goal or the 2nd ball.

In this respect, I do agree Crouch, Kuyt and Bellamy aren't exactly in that mould. We do need someone like dat to cover all angles.

Cheers

Yup, owen and ruud are these natural predator types, always hungry and waiting to devour the ball at any chance. Give them space and they will be clattering away to goal.

Bellamy, Kuyt and Crouch all have the same ethic as in they'll work hard and chase down defenders. Which is great, but at the end of the day it's the goals that count.
Kuyt has a better first touch, better vision, better distribution of the ball, more strength, overall more ability compared to Crouch, but looking at recent displays, or displays this season its apparent to me that out of those three Kuyt is the least likeliest to find the onion bag.

It's not Rafa's strikers are there to get you goals like Rush, Owen, Fowler, Shearer and Linekar did for there teams respectively. I just think Rafa shouldn't pick Kuyt game after game if he's rotating the majority of players around him on a regular basis. The only player who hasnt really been rotated this season is Finnan and thats due to the fact we've got no one who can fill in. But the same cant be said for our strikers, so Rafa rotate all FOUR of our strikers, not just leave one position free to fight it out between three. Hell play Robbie more, the guy deserves more than five minutes at the end of every other premiership match way play :(

So maybe Rafa will have to stop being stubborn and change this minor detail, because the 4 forwards we have now are all his buys.
I think Bellamy scored 17 goals for Blackburn last season so why isn't he that prolific for us?
Is it because he is having to do other things rather than just be that fox in the box?

Sirus_The_Virus
14-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Problem with Pongolle, he looks too light weight for the EPL...every time kena tackle abit start to fly all over the place...skillful and quick but I think too much like Diouf..tends to dive..

I think he can still do a job for us. He's still only young. He's got pace and he knows where the goal is. He's proved vital for us in past seasons i.e. Luton in the FA Cup when he scored 2 goals to get us back in it and when he scored against Olympiakos in 2005 to getus back in that game. That season in 2005 when we had Baros etc injured he came in and scored a few goals.

He's is in great form at Recreativo and I hope it continues. He can still do a job for us. He is determined as well which is good, he never complains when subbed and gives 100% :)

Only thing is that he requires regular first team football and if Rafa has plans for him next year that's gonna mean Fowlers out and maybe him as the fourth choice striker.

He's got like 8 goals in 13 games this season or something, so he's clearly on a mission. He's already scored against Madrid at the Bernabeu and if he keeps it up, we'll be silly to discard him out of hand. I think we should watch his progress this season with interest. He's bulked up a bit, which is good to see, and it may be the case that one of Houllier's young guns is actually on the verge of fulfilling his potential :)

canthaveenuf
14-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I think he can still do a job for us. He's still only young. He's got pace and he knows where the goal is. He's proved vital for us in past seasons i.e. Luton in the FA Cup when he scored 2 goals to get us back in it and when he scored against Olympiakos in 2005 to getus back in that game. That season in 2005 when we had Baros etc injured he came in and scored a few goals.

He's is in great form at Recreativo and I hope it continues. He can still do a job for us. He is determined as well which is good, he never complains when subbed and gives 100%

Only thing is that he requires regular first team football and if Rafa has plans for him next year that's gonna mean Fowlers out and maybe him as the fourth choice striker.

He's got like 8 goals in 13 games this season or something, so he's clearly on a mission. He's already scored against Madrid at the Bernabeu and if he keeps it up, we'll be silly to discard him out of hand. I think we should watch his progress this season with interest. He's bulked up a bit, which is good to see, and it may be the case that one of Houllier's young guns is actually on the verge of fulfilling his potential :)

Yah, I remembered him doing a pretty good job for us back then. Wow, it seems like he is doing not too bad Recreativo huh. This guy does have some potential. One bro said he is quite light weight. I agree too. A simple shove and he will fly, but I dun think he is those diving type like Diuof. But if fly fly like that can get free kicks and penalties, OK lah. :D

Cheers

Sirus_The_Virus
14-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Yah, I remembered him doing a pretty good job for us back then. Wow, it seems like he is doing not too bad Recreativo huh. This guy does have some potential. One bro said he is quite light weight. I agree too. A simple shove and he will fly, but I dun think he is those diving type like Diuof. But if fly fly like that can get free kicks and penalties, OK lah. :D

Cheers

Haha yup bro, i like the guy, and i was sad to hear the new of him leaving, however if this is true then i'm pleased he is staying. I will never forget the game against the arsenal when he fooled Pires, deep in the left hand corner (of their half) with his trickery and left him cold. He scored a beauty against betis the other year in the CL which kicked things off nicely for us, and has scored some crucial goals.

I'm glad he is getting the games and goals, will build his confidence up no-ends, however it is a different skill/situation to score goals in the EPL than it is in spain, however he has proved he can score them :)

GhostFish
14-02-2007, 01:28 PM

He's is in great form at Recreativo and I hope it continues. He can still do a job for us. He is determined as well which is good, he never complains when subbed and gives 100% :)

Yes Pongolle is really fast, skillful, good in the air and a good finisher. I was watching (sky sports classics) the match when we beat olympiakos and without him i don't think we would have beat them in the second half, he held the ball up won a few corners and scored one important goal!!

I think tht he will be brilliant to keep... him, kuyt, bellamy and crouch, (if fowler doesnt get fit) ....

jootjoot
14-02-2007, 09:47 PM

they still have a game in hand advantage over liverpool. will feel lousy if they overtake liverpool and liverpool down to 4th position:( haiz.. hope liverpool will play their remaining matches well.

Wowholing
15-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Liverpool pair named in Europe XI

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher will play for a Europe XI side in a jubilation match against Manchester United on 13 March.

The game at Old Trafford commemorates the 50th anniversary of United's first competitive European fixture as well as the founding of the Common Market.

Marcello Lippi will manage the Europe team and Real Madrid's David Beckham will also play against his former club.

Fixture congestion means Lippi cannot select Arsenal and Chelsea players.

Sir Alex Ferguson has already pledged to field a full-strength line-up, including Henrik Larsson in what could be his farewell United appearance.

While the precise European line-up is yet to be finalised, Lippi has expressed the hope that most of his 2006 World Cup-winning squad will be at Old Trafford.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists he is happy to release his two most senior England internationals for the fixture.

He said: "It is an honour for our club that two of our players have been selected to represent Europe.

"I know that they feel very privileged to be in the team and that they will enjoy playing alongside the top players from other clubs.

"It will be a nice experience for them and one I am sure they will remember with pleasure in years to come."

spunk9
15-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Let's cross finger and hope Liverpool will not lose stupid games again!!!

Sirus_The_Virus
15-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Liverpool pair named in Europe XI

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher will play for a Europe XI side in a jubilation match against Manchester United on 13 March.

I think it's an accolade to the club that we can produce to players worthy to be in the Europe XI squad and it's good to see them getting their bit of recognition, but I don't see why it's not being played in the close season.

I'm surprised Man U have committed to a full strength line-up at what could be a critical time in the title race.

kb_soo80
15-02-2007, 01:50 PM
WAH... Well, I would like to see them playing with other great players against Manchester United and win, but do hope they will not get any injuries for that and that will not affect their performance in the remaining season :confused:

Wowholing
15-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Well I suppose it's an excuse to kill Gary Neville in a non-competitive match :D

chairman-mao
15-02-2007, 08:48 PM
As i will be away during Chinese New Year. I will like to wish all the Reds Supporters 新年快乐,事事如意,猪年发大财

cheers

Offspring
16-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Hey! They missed out xabi for the european team! Would love to see his long distance missile against van der sar. LOL :D

KnightBronze
16-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi Happy Chinese New Year. May Liverpool prosper with us throughout the whole year! Liverpool WAN SHUI!

LSB_Fan
16-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I think it's an accolade to the club that we can produce to players worthy to be in the Europe XI squad and it's good to see them getting their bit of recognition, but I don't see why it's not being played in the close season.

I'm surprised Man U have cof the committed to a full strength line-up at what could be a critical time in the title race.

I am sure it is a 'commercial' decision to have the fixture when... rather than a practical considerration.

On the issue of strikers... I would only rate Kuyt, the rest have not consistently proven their worth.

Sirus_The_Virus
16-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I am sure it is a 'commercial' decision to have the fixture when... rather than a practical considerration.

On the issue of strikers... I would only rate Kuyt, the rest have not consistently proven their worth.

Yeah, tell them to ram it :p

Imagine this match being for us, no way would that freaking bench tramp allow his players to play in our benefit and besides if either of them get injured we're F-ucked :(

Commercial i totally agree..

mahalosux
17-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Here is wishing all Anfield supporters a Happy Lunar New Year...may the EPL scene be painted red (from the anfield) again....:)

Sirus_The_Virus
17-02-2007, 08:16 AM
To all REDS fans and bros here, Happy Chinese New Year, many happy returns. Happiness And Prosperity throughout!

Have a great 2007 guys :)

Hail Pool, YNWA!

GhostFish
17-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Would like to wish all Liverpool fans here a Happy CNY. Enjoy and have fun everyone!!

hotsoup16
19-02-2007, 12:17 AM
First of all, a Happy CNY to all Liverpool fans and what a big present the players had given us

BELLAMY ATTACKED RIISE WITH A GOLF CLUB (http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1925752,00.html)

:mad:

Sirus_The_Virus
19-02-2007, 04:22 AM
First of all, a Happy CNY to all Liverpool fans and what a big present the players had given us

BELLAMY ATTACKED RIISE WITH A GOLF CLUB (http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1925752,00.html)

Hey bro, Happy new year :)

Sigh... I am very disappointed that so called professional footballers could leave themselves open for this sort of gutter scandle. They all know what to expect if they step out of line, the papers love anything like this. Now Benitez and his staff and probably Carra and Gerrard, will have to waste time and effort answering stupid questions from the media instead of concentrating on one of the biggest games in there careers :(

ah_gogo
19-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Happy lunar new year 2007 to all reds fans here. Gong xi, huat whole year :D

ah_gogo
19-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Exactly... that is the single most frustrating aspect. Whether or not there is any truth in the matter.. These are professional footballers, who should be going out of their way to represent this club in a respectable fashion both on and equally as important, off the field of play...

The press will have a field day with this.. true or not. Now its down to the authorities at the club to smooth over the cracks and defend the clubs name, once again...

Quite simply they shouldnt be in a position to have to...

canthaveenuf
19-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks bro for the article. Juz saw a small report on New Paper this morning and was wondering what the heck was it all about. Is Liverpool breaking up now? I was very sadden by all these off-the-field fracas stuff involving Pools players. :mad:

When those known bad boys (ppl like Bellamy and Pennant) signed up for Pools, ppl (I was one of them) were worried that such things will happen. For a while I tot they have turned over a new leaf. Well, they have juz proven these ppl right, unfortunately.

We need a happy camp in Pools. Hope they will settle it amicably and get back to doing what they are supposed to be doing on the pitch. We certainly don't need all these distractions, given our precarious position in the league table. Hope they get their priorities right.

Hope that Riise has not been injured too severely (man, kana hit by golf club, no joke man). Really pity him cos he is really a nice chap. Also, saw Dudek name mentioned. Wow, things must be getting pretty bad.

Cheers

KingEros
19-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Hope that Riise has not been injured too severely (man, kana hit by golf club, no joke man). Really pity him cos he is really a nice chap.
Apparently, the argument was at a "KTV lounge" when it was supposed to be Riise's turn to sing but the shy boy refused ... then, it led onto a slanging match with expletives between Bellamy & Riise. The senior boys (Gerrard, Carra, etc) cut in & the matter was KIVed.
Then, when everybody proceeded to their own bunk to sleep, our dear Bellamy felt that he has lost face ... so, he grabbed his golf club & went looking for Riise. Best thing is he used the golf club to keep whacking on Riise's legs ... this part is definitely not just hear-say since both Riise's agent & the Norwegian coach came forth to make a statement that his "rice-bowls" (legs) were injured but not very very badly.

So much for Bellamy's claims that he love this club so much so much since boyhood etc ... his was an act of self above club - his losing face leading to him damaging one of the "potent weapons" under the LFC inventory. :mad:
Would be interesting to know what internal punishments will be meted out.

Also, saw Dudek name mentioned. Wow, things must be getting pretty bad.
Dudek, together with Fowler, Pennant, etc, were involved in another separate incident ... which is of much lesser consequence. I think they probably came back late to the hotel after their drinks ... that's about it.

Overall, I think Rafa miscalculated on this Portugal trip ... while team spirit was good, it was very much restricted to onfield (both at matches & on the training ground). But when you bring a group of boys who do not really gel as one socially, that's where the activities organised has to be more well thought-through. :(

ah_gogo
19-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Not good to see headlines like this but we all know how quickly the press can turn nothing into something. The rest of it is very believable because of these players past reputations. All that matters is that the incident hasn't screwed up spirit in the team. We all know that Bellamy is quick-tempered but is he really dumb enough to end his Liverpool career in a few moments of madness like that? :mad:

Hai ... lets hope all will be well soon :(

ah_gogo
19-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I now hear it was a bit of a misunderstanding, Riise coming into the room and said are you ready to Robbie, Robbie turned and said to Bellamy, “ do you want to go clubbing ” but sadly Bellamy did not hear him right and what he heard was “ do you want to go and club him ” ... :o

Sirus_The_Virus
19-02-2007, 11:40 AM
The club has to try and calm the storm on these embarassing allegations. No doubt they will be busy sorting this mess out behind the scenes.

Some players will be cut more slack than others but a character like Bellamy was purchased as soiled goods bought cheap on account of his shocking reputation. If reports of his involvement are true it will surely its one strike and out for him at Liverpool :mad: :mad:

Sirus_The_Virus
19-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I now hear it was a bit of a misunderstanding, Riise coming into the room and said are you ready to Robbie, Robbie turned and said to Bellamy, “ do you want to go clubbing ” but sadly Bellamy did not hear him right and what he heard was “ do you want to go and club him ” ... :o

Hahaha bro, this is kinda funny though :p

hotsoup16
19-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I suspect Liverpool are trying to create a "virtual" commotion to unsettle Bara, just like what they did with the coach and Eto story. kind of mind game i would say

rahl
20-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Guys let's not over-react. If Bellars had really struck Riise with the golf club, no way will he escape with two weeks' wages fine and still be in the squad going to Barca.

I think the truth is somewhere in between what Rafa said and what the media obviously played up.

Still just about the worst thing to have happened ahead of the Barca game but perhaps it will pull the lads together.

Dirk Kuyt
20-02-2007, 12:34 AM
If reports of his involvement are true it will surely its one strike and out for him at Liverpool

Bellamy & Robbie been told to look for another clubs...... Voronin coming in next season. Heard the boss wants Eto too.:D

Dirk

Wowholing
20-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Bellamy & Robbie been told to look for another clubs...... Voronin coming in next season. Heard the boss wants Eto too

Dirk

It would seem as though there was some confrontation between Riise and Bellamy, but who cares? We have all a little squabble now and then, you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t :)

Voronin's from the Ukraine and has been playing for Leverkusen for four or five seasons now.

He isn't that good to be quite honest with you.

This year:

14 starts, [6 sub appearances] = 6 goals, 5 assists

2005/2006:
27 starts, [2 sub appearances]= 7 goals

2004/2005:
28 starts [10 sub appearances]= 17 goals

Hmm...

I'm thumbs up for Eto though :)

snakehead
20-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Voronin's from the Ukraine and has been playing for Leverkusen for four or five seasons now.

He isn't that good to be quite honest with you.

Liverpool getting him on free transfer....... no need to pay wat u expect?
Dun work out just dump him lor.... no loss wat.

bro snakehead

snakehead
20-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Bellamy & Robbie been told to look for another clubs......

Yeah.... heard from insiders Bellamy was told by Rafa to F**K OFF back to england on the next available flight. Looks like he's out of Rafa's plans now.

The one on Robbie is new leh:confused: ..... where u hear from?

bro snakehead

canthaveenuf
20-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Quite a coincidence that suddenly we have Barca and Pools both having sensational stories unfolding before their big game ..... conspiracy theory? Skali, both sides just all wayang wayang only ..... :D

Last heard, Bellamy kana fined, Riise also kana fined (kinda strange). But seems like Rafa still needs Bellamy on the field against Barca.

Cheers

qw2op
20-02-2007, 11:44 PM
sum info on voronin ... if u may b interested ...

Opta assess Voronin (http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=449472&CPID=22&clid=164&lid=1490&title=Opta+assess+Voronin) (scroll 2 ze bottom of ze page)

Wowholing
21-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Liverpool getting him on free transfer....... no need to pay wat u expect?
Dun work out just dump him lor.... no loss wat.

bro snakehead

The point is, we shouldn't be trash collectors, taking in junk just because it happens to be there. They need to utilize the players as much as they can. At this period of the game, every point matters. We don't need another person to come around and screw up the whole performance just cos he's a free transfer. In that case i would rather that Pongelle back anytime :)

Not exactly a signing to set the pulse racing is it? I'm not expecting Rafa to start spending unnecessary money this summer but surely we can aim a little higher than this guy? :)

Wowholing
21-02-2007, 02:52 AM
sum info on voronin ... if u may b interested ...

Opta assess Voronin (http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=449472&CPID=22&clid=164&lid=1490&title=Opta+assess+Voronin) (scroll 2 ze bottom of ze page)

Thks bro for the info.

Bellamy and Andrei Voronin seems to be about the same caliber. Hopefully he'll have more attributes and will work out though :o

rahl
21-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Thks bro for the info.

Bellamy and Andrei Voronin seems to be about the same caliber. Hopefully he'll have more attributes and will work out though :o

Walao, a fan who knows nothing about the player and already has judged him according to his (lack of a) transfer fee.

Has it ever occurred to you that Rafa could have been tracking him for a while before the investment? Or that our priority is other areas of the squad and not strikers?

ah_gogo
21-02-2007, 09:29 AM
You never know, it's sometimes the dark horses that can surprise us ;)

In all fairness it's a free transfer, what harm will it do. I think he was a good player for Leverkusen, good CL and international pedigree.

It still amazes me how many people jump on the negative side of any deal that they are unfamiliar with. Rafa makes mistakes but at least see if its a mistake before you start questioning? :)

ah_gogo
21-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Walao, a fan who knows nothing about the player and already has judged him according to his (lack of a) transfer fee.

Has it ever occurred to you that Rafa could have been tracking him for a while before the investment? Or that our priority is other areas of the squad and not strikers?

Yup i agree to that. One thing that I can think of to justify this signing is that he should take the role of being a backup at Anfield very well, he must know that he is not coming to LFC to be a regular starter, but to improve the defence in training, and to give all he can and add goals whenever he sees the pitch.
I'm thinking that Rafa signed him because this guy is going to have the exact attitude that you look for in a number 4 striker option. There are rumors that God is possibly going to the US so he can still have some dominance in his later years, and that maybe Crouch is going to want out for more playing time? That will also leave space for one super awseome world class forward that the team needs with Bellamy taking on a supporting, spot starting and super-sub role ;)

ah_gogo
21-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Quite a coincidence that suddenly we have Barca and Pools both having sensational stories unfolding before their big game ..... conspiracy theory? Skali, both sides just all wayang wayang only ..... :D

Last heard, Bellamy kana fined, Riise also kana fined (kinda strange). But seems like Rafa still needs Bellamy on the field against Barca.

Cheers

The details on just what went on are quite murky and I think there's a fair amount of tabloid muckraking going on. That said, something must have happened, which is an unfortunate end to a positive week in Portugal.

Hai.. In a way i kinda feel for Bellamy.. He has built up this reputation that anyone can leak a story about him and it’s almost believable. Hopefully all this media will die down before our big game with Barca :(

KingEros
21-02-2007, 10:23 AM
So gracious of you to still call him a fan ... but what's new?? Fairly typical conduct of fair-weather "fans", no?? :rolleyes:

Castrol
21-02-2007, 11:59 AM

hahaha... good one, have a cigar. :D

bellamy is still the bad boy he used to be. already playing for one of the finest in the world but behaves like he's playing for wimbledon.

chairman-mao
21-02-2007, 04:27 PM
My guts feeling tells me LFC is going to win tonight.

rahl
21-02-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm thinking that Rafa signed him because this guy is going to have the exact attitude that you look for in a number 4 striker option.

Now that's an excellent post. ;)

rahl
21-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Hai.. In a way i kinda feel for Bellamy.. He has built up this reputation that anyone can leak a story about him and it’s almost believable. Hopefully all this media will die down before our big game with Barca :(

Absolutely, and if the golf club story is true, I will be deeply disappointed in Bellars. But I watched him closely in the last half dozen games and although he complains and yells on the pitch, he always finished it with a toothy grin, ya? Great player and I hope the story's not true. Hope he stays.

rahl
21-02-2007, 11:48 PM
So gracious of you to still call him a fan ... but what's new?? Fairly typical conduct of fair-weather "fans", no?? :rolleyes:

Ah well, and when the Americans' global marketing strategy kicks in, what next? :(

Dirk Kuyt
22-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Not so good news coming from anfield.
There is rumours Real Madrid make another offer to Rafa again.
Though the boss has not say anything yet but he is unusually quiet these past couple of days. Hope we win tonite and convince him to stay.

Wowholing
22-02-2007, 01:20 AM
So gracious of you to still call him a fan ... but what's new?? Fairly typical conduct of fair-weather "fans", no??

LOL.. Fair weather fans? I don't see myself running to Man U when Liverpool loses. Yr judgement is a personal one, something u probably tell almost everyone who has their own opinion :rolleyes: Some may agree, some won't, whatever it is, the objective is only for the welfare of the club.

Voronin isn't great or better than any of our strikers but he's been playing on the flank for Ukraine for much of his career because of his pace, in order to accommodate Shevchenko.

I don't care how many goals he gets for his national team. Milan Baros had a fantastic record for his country but couldn't score in a brothel here or at Aston Villa.

It's just an opinion, no need to get all judgmental about it ;) Labelling me with silly tags won't make the guy a better player.

rahl
22-02-2007, 04:47 AM
One all half time against Barca.

Thought we were out of it after Deco had put Barca in front. Our attacking player was quite poor after the first 10 mins although we had some luck with set pieces.

What a howler from the goalie to carry Bellars' header behind the goalline for our equaliser. Aka Reina's mistake against AJ in the Everton game.

Boy, finally we have some luck in an away game. But we gotta improve lots in the second half.

canthaveenuf
22-02-2007, 04:53 AM
But I watched him closely in the last half dozen games and although he complains and yells on the pitch, he always finished it with a toothy grin, ya? Great player and I hope the story's not true. Hope he stays.

Ya, I liked his attitude on the pitch very much. Very competitive but gentlemenly (so far at least). So far, Bellamy has proven his worth to the team. I also hope that he stays.

Cheers

canthaveenuf
22-02-2007, 04:56 AM

Thought we were out of it after Deco had put Barca in front. Our attacking player was quite poor after the first 10 mins although we had some luck with set pieces.

What a howler from the goalie to carry Bellars' header behind the goalline for our equaliser. Aka Reina's mistake against AJ in the Everton game.

Boy, finally we have some luck in an away game. But we gotta improve lots in the second half.

Interesting that our two main actors were involved in the two goals in the first half.

Barca's goal was partly Riise's fault while Bellamy scored a great goal with his head.

We are mataching Barca well so far. Let's keep plugging it and we will do fine.

Cheers

canthaveenuf
22-02-2007, 05:19 AM
hahahaha ...... Bellamy and Riise combined for Riise to score 2nd Pools goal. Some more with his right foot. :D

What irony !!!

Way to go REDs !!!

Cheers

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Alright!! Who'ssss the mannnn!!

Haha deluxe scoreline!! 2 away goals, and I definitely back us to score at home against this Barca side :)

Rijkaard's decision to sub Motta, his only defensive midfielder in favour of an attacking midfielder has exposed the defensive cover.

Reina made a good decision to come off his line and kick the ball from Messi, timely intervention.

Rafa remains undefeated against Barca at Nou Camp. Hehe what a stunning victory :)

rahl
22-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Much better in the second half. We worked our socks off and stopped Barca. Kuyt could have scored a brace but his second chance fell to Bellars, who fed Riise for a right-footed shot to give us an edge in the tie. So much for leg breaking huh? ;)

Although Barca really helped us with their shambolic defending, our game plan worked and forced Rijkaard to bring on more attacking substitutes. If we had been more clinical we could have scored one or two more.

But a great result to take us back to Anfield. Barca 1 Pool 2. ;)

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 05:50 AM

Haha i was holding my breath when Deco scored. My gf was pulling my shirt and yelling, " this isn't the end OK.."
When Bellamy scored she was jumping all over the room, in slience. Said she was too happy for words. FT and told her i'm going roar over at the football forum.

God i'm in dream land.

Everton, this is what big clubs do :)

rahl
22-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Alright!! Who'ssss the mannnn!!

Rafa remains undefeated against Barca at Nou Camp. Hehe what a stunning victory :)

Great result man. I remember we knocked Barca out under Houllier a few years ago, when we scrapped a goalless draw at the Nou Camp. But under Houllier we hardly had any attacking play away.

But Rafa is working out a potent blend of attack and defense in our away games. Still a work in progress but when it works out on the great European nights, there's no greater sense of achievement! Class act the fella is. ;)

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 05:58 AM
hahahaha ...... Bellamy and Riise combined for Riise to score 2nd Pools goal. Some more with his right foot. :D

What irony !!!

Way to go REDs !!!

Cheers

Haha a little irony in there. On the pitch they r as good as best friends haha.

Super performance, super win, Sissoko was celestial. Played excellent. Also Carra was immense. Finnan kept Ronaldinho quiet all night. Good job! :)

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Not exactly a signing to set the pulse racing is it? I'm not expecting Rafa to start spending unnecessary money this summer but surely we can aim a little higher than this guy? :)

Managers aren't infallible... they all make errors of judgement. Some pull off the unexpected... but none of them are miracle workers to be frank. On that basis i reckon we have done well enough on the budget available. I would be optimistic in expecting Rafa to deliver in future. They could already be here in the lower ranks... Rafa seems equipped to be able to identify them soon enough. They just need time and games. Have more faith in Benitez :)

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 06:15 AM
But Rafa is working out a potent blend of attack and defense in our away games. Still a work in progress but when it works out on the great European nights, there's no greater sense of achievement! Class act the fella is.

Yes he is bro, cheers for Rafa, he's the man!! You have to give Rafa a lot of credit, it took real balls to pick Arbeleta to make his debut in a game of this importance. If things had gone wrong he would have been hammered. Things went quite nicely thank you Rafa!

Bellamy's celebration ... a bit familiar :p

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/trygettingme/p1_liverpool_0221.jpg

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Riise and Bellamy celebration

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/trygettingme/_42599517_bellamycelebrate203.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/trygettingme/_42599625_riise203.jpg

beck7777
22-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Shocking result to be frank...

I expect at best a draw but the win is a welcome shock to me...

Think the boys did real well after all the negative news before this game..

Cheers! :D

chairman-mao
22-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Everton, this is what big clubs do :)

Yes my guts feeling was rite spot on. Wat a comeback for the REDS. And the best part the Riise and Bellamy who was in the headlines score the goals.:)

Cheers

chairman-mao
22-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Shocking result to be frank...

I expect at best a draw but the win is a welcome shock to me...

Think the boys did real well after all the negative news before this game..

Cheers! :D

Indeed the boys did very well. See you in Anfield Barca :)

rahl
22-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Yes he is bro, cheers for Rafa, he's the man!! You have to give Rafa a lot of credit, it took real balls to pick Arbeleta to make his debut in a game of this importance. If things had gone wrong he would have been hammered. Things went quite nicely thank you Rafa!

And although it was a team effort, Arbeloa played really well in his debut and we did great to contain Messi.

beck7777
22-02-2007, 10:51 AM
A great result to put us on pole position!

Even a 1 nil defeat (touchwood!!) at Anfield will see us through!

Can this be a repeat of 2005 where we see of Juventus and Chelski and kill off mightly Milan in the final? :rolleyes:

KLKOOL
22-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Nice result... we should have put the game beyond doubt ... now 2-1 lead with an away win and face Barca at Anfield. A good advantage to have, but we are not invincible at home... so let's not get carried away...

I think last night's result was more of a bad playing Barcelona rather than us playing perfectly... Barca just are not playing as a team, and that suits me just fine :p ... Just another 90 mins to go ...

KLKOOL
22-02-2007, 10:57 AM

Can this be a repeat of 2005 where we see of Juventus and Chelski and kill off mightly Milan in the final? :rolleyes:

Well, if we see off Barca, there is still Man U, Chelsea, Milan, Valencia, Inter, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Bayern ... any combination of these remaining will cause us lots of challenges, so passing the Barca hurdle is just another step towards the CL, but its still a long ways to go...

rahl
22-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I think last night's result was more of a bad playing Barcelona rather than us playing perfectly...

I don't think you can say that, bro. Sure Barca were not at their best, esp in defence but how well we played, you can see from how clueless Ronaldinho and Messi were in attack. They are still great individual players but had nowhere to go, which is credit to Finnan and Arbeloar.

Reminds me of the time a couple years ago we stopped Juventus in Turin. This was another massive performance from the lads and let's give them full credit when it's due.

beck7777
22-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Agreed...

Even if Barca is not on top form, they are still a dangerous side... They are the one who opened the scoring tell us alot...

I think its more of character and fighting sprit of Liverpool that enable us to turn the game around... That we must give the lads credit...

No doubt we are having home advantage in the 2nd leg, we must not be over confident and approach the game with caution... :D

Luckytime
22-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Yes man... Liverpool are the best. What a game coming back from a goal down to win the game. They are really the come back team in big stage.:D

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Haha yup Bro, i want to relive 2005!! Really magnificent but please we must play at Anfield like if we have lost 0-1. Can't be too complacent can we? :)

Cheers Benitez the expert of Champions League!

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I think last night's result was more of a bad playing Barcelona rather than us playing perfectly... Barca just are not playing as a team, and that suits me just fine :p ... Just another 90 mins to go ...

Bro i think we played heavens ourselves though :) Our leveller was one of the softest goals you'll see in any competition, let alone the Champions League. Schoolboy defending should have given us our second off of the backpass miscue and they were a shambles for Riise's winner as well.

Hopefully Rijkaard opts for the same swashbuckling line-up (Ronaldinho, Deco, Messi, Giuly, Gudjohnsenn and Iniesta all on the pitch at the same time? Madness!) at Anfield--I think we're capable of cutting that side to ribbons on the counter attack.

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't think you can say that, bro. Sure Barca were not at their best, esp in defence but how well we played, you can see from how clueless Ronaldinho and Messi were in attack. They are still great individual players but had nowhere to go, which is credit to Finnan and Arbeloar.

Haha yes bro, Barca made heavy mistakes, as the second goal for instance you could blame Marquez not heading that to the corner, but the whole gap they left when the CB came to the LB position was a huge one :D

ah_gogo
22-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh yeah and erm, Everton lost 1-2 to Spurs. The day just keeps getting better ;)

lungless
22-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey Liverpudians!! Congrats.....i think Benitez really is a master tactician. I think he is the actual hero for the win. I sincerely think Liverpool will win Champions League this year!! Cheers

canthaveenuf
22-02-2007, 09:27 PM
This was another massive performance from the lads and let's give them full credit when it's due.

Agree with you bro 100000%.

Barca was actually very dangerous on a number of occasions, but we were able to defend well -- credit to the solid backline. Reina also did his part, although he did caused some heart attack, luckily the shot from Deco hit the post. Yes, we were also lucky on a few occasions, but you can also say that of Barca when we could have also killed off the game.

Overall, we matched them in all departments and we played with our hearts and that is what mattered most. It is not like we played against a weak Barca team. So I feel the team and manager absolutely deserves the credit for this win.

Let's hope we carry on this momentum and build up the confidence. With this win, I am sure the team will have absolute confidence in Rafa now.

Cheers

Sirus_The_Virus
22-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Haha yup Bro, i want to relive 2005!! Really magnificent but please we must play at Anfield like if we have lost 0-1. Can't be too complacent can we? :)

What a night it was. This will go down as one of our greatest results and Benitez and the boys deserve all the credit as do the fans who yet again were outstanding.
I can't see us getting beaten at home by more than 1 goal so i'm pretty confident we are thru :D

Arbeloa was impressive in his first start and could be a very useful player with his versatility. I thought it was a shame Crouch didn't get on sooner because he could have given barca alot of problems in the last 15 minutes, but hopefully he will play his part at Anfield. Credit also needs to go to Reina for keeping us in the match. Like many of his teammates, he looked a little nervous in the final 10 minutes (that Deco freekick was heart in mouth stuff) but he made three outstanding saves to keep out Barca's second (1 on Deco and 2 on Saviola). I know you can't judge on last night's performance alone but maybe Barca are wondering if they let the wrong keeper go?

coolfire69
23-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Let's hope we play the return leg like how we did recently at home against the rent boys (where we scored 2 early goals for a 2-0 win), instead of just sitting back... :D

C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!

kb_soo80
23-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Fantastic result. Rafa got tactics spot on. What a difference a year makes hey. Last season we went to Benfica with a negative attitude and got punished. Last night we were positive and got just rewards. Hopefully Momo's injury isnt too bad? The guy is immense!! I am fine with Gerrard playing on right when Momo is fit and I wish all the pundits would understand why Sissoko has to play more often than not.

As for Barcelona. Dinho was very poor, no excuses. Messi was poor but he is just back from a long lay off so he can be slightly excused.
Why Rijkaard played Motta instead of Iniesta I have no idea. Iniesta has had a wonderful season while Motta has been poor whenever I have seen him play.

The system Barca plays needs Eto. Saviola and Gudjohnson are not right for that role as they both play off someone else. Larsson could play in that position but now they only have Eto.

Tie over? Not just yet as Barca can score twice away from home. They did it two years ago at the Bridge. Eto should be back as well. However it is our hands and we couldnt ask for a better result. 2nd leg, lets be positive and not try protect the lead.

Also hearing Andy Gray moan about Messi and Dinho not tracking back is a joke. If he actually watched Barcelona play he would see that they never track back as thats not there job. They are not told to track back as that 4-3-3 is played in it's purest form. Like how the old Holland side played :p

Cummon
23-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Glad that everyone is overjoyed at the moment,let's come back to do biz again in EPL. Are Sheffield Utd gonna park a bus in front of their goal ?
Fingers crossed :cool:

ah_gogo
23-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi bro Cummon, haven't seen u around for some time, u been busy? :)
Gong xi fa cai!

Any chances we play some of the other younger players that we got in January or maybe El Zhar or Guthrie or Anderson, or better yet God? The next two matches are Man U and the home leg against Barca, so speaking relatively, Sheffield is the weakest opponent we are going to see in a while, and maybe we should rest some of our top guns. This might be the time to see Mascherano hopefully. I'm guessing another clean sheet for us ;)

spunk9
23-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Wow Liverpool won huray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :)

canthaveenuf
23-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Glad that everyone is overjoyed at the moment,let's come back to do biz again in EPL. Are Sheffield Utd gonna park a bus in front of their goal ?
Fingers crossed

Been busy bro? Haven't seen U around much. :) Happy New Year to You.

Will Sheffield park their big bus? Well, it depends on whether they are a small club or not loh ..... :D

But we should be able to break it down. Once we get an early goal we will be fine.

Cheers

Cummon
23-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Bro ah gogo & bro canthaveenuf,me out of town during CNY holidays.Bro ah gogo so you happened to be the winner of the prediction for the Barca game,gong xi gong xi :)
We HAVE to get three points,the Arse & Bolton are breathing down on our neck now,don' think Rafa will play young players against the Blades.

Cummon
23-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Will Sheffield park their big bus? Well, it depends on whether they are a small club or not loh ..... :D

hmm,also depends on whether the bus is small or big :D
The blades can be very tricky opponents,hopefully our lads won't be complacent while playing against them.

KingEros
23-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Fingers crossed :cool:
They will definitely put a bus there, as ALL small clubs will do.
Only concern being most teams dun really perform after Champions League exertions ... but taking into consideration that the Reds have had a good long break (& the drunken supor not withstanding), let's see if they can blow the bus up. :D

ah_gogo
23-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Bro ah gogo & bro canthaveenuf,me out of town during CNY holidays.Bro ah gogo so you happened to be the winner of the prediction for the Barca game,gong xi gong xi :)
We HAVE to get three points,the Arse & Bolton are breathing down on our neck now,don' think Rafa will play young players against the Blades.

Thanks bro, really glad they won :) Great to have u back, hope u enjoyed yr holiday.

Yes the 3 points are crucial. These are the games we have to keep winning week in, week out. Bolton are only three points behind us - and if we have a great run in Europe, we don't want getting back into it next season to become a melodrama like in 2005.. Although if you offered me 5th place and a place in the final right now...

Anyway i read (though I don't know for sure) that Momo is a doubt, so Masherano could well start. Some players could be rested, but I wouldn't think there would need to be too many, as we had a 11 day break before the barca game, and dont have any midweek games this week.

According to physioroom.com:

M Sissoko - ankle - no return date
F Aurelio - foot - 24th Feb 07 very doubtful
M Gonzalez - bruised shin - 24th Feb 07
L Garcia - ACL - Jun 07
H Kewell - septic arthritis - no return date

My team:

Reina

Finnan Carra Hyypia Riise

Pennant Gerrard Masherano Gonzalez (if fit)

Kuyt Crouch

On the bench:
Dudek
Arbeloa
Zenden
Aurelio/Alonso
Fowler

- if gonzo is not fit enough, Zenden to play LM - or Arbeloa LB and Risse LW

Cum_Luver
23-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Well Done !
Let hope we can carry-on from here.
And get another 3 pts against Sheffield United.

Will be a tough match, coz this type of team will normally pack their defence.
But I have HIGH CONFIDENCE that we win at least win by 2 goals or more.

You'll Never Walk......Alone !!!

Sirus_The_Virus
24-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Yoz Bro cummon, welcome back :D

Some News

Mohamed Sissoko is expected to have recovered from the shin injury which forced him off against Barcelona when Liverpool take on Sheffield United.

Manager Rafael Benitez is likely to make several changes from the side that produced a remarkable Champions League victory in the Nou Camp on Wednesday.

BENITEZ DRAWS ON SPANISH EXPERIENCE

Peter Crouch, Jermaine Pennant and Sami Hyypia will come into consideration, as will Argentinian midfielder Javier Mascherano.

SATURDAY FIXTURES: HEAD-TO-HEAD

Danny Webber, Luton Shelton and Chris Morgan are all doubts ahead of the trip to Anfield.

Strikers Webber and Shelton have calf and groin strains respectively, while centre-back Morgan also has a calf problem which led to his withdrawal at half-time of a reserve match this week.

Leigh Bromby serves a one-match suspension, while Keith Gillespie completes a four-game ban.

Matt Kilgallon and Mikele Leigertwood (both ankle) are nearing a return, but the game comes too soon for either to figure.

BARCLAYS PREMIERSHIP PREVIEW

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso, Zenden, Sissoko, Mascherano, Pennant, Gonzalez, Bellamy, Fowler, Crouch, Kuyt, Dudek.

Sheffield United (from): Kenny, Davis, Jagielka, Kozluk, Tonge, Armstrong, Morgan, A Quinn, S Quinn, Montgomery, Fathi, Webber, Hulse, Stead, Nade, Kazim-Richards, Geary, Lucketti, Seck, Bennett.

KLKOOL
24-02-2007, 01:04 AM

You are right :P ... now is not the time to be careless and lose at home ...

KLKOOL
24-02-2007, 01:11 AM

Reminds me of the time a couple years ago we stopped Juventus in Turin. This was another massive performance from the lads and let's give them full credit when it's due.

I meant Barca was not as effective in ATTACK...

Anyway... we won... that's all that matters... now let's not lose concentration at home...

kb_soo80
24-02-2007, 02:47 AM
I meant Barca was not as effective in ATTACK...

Anyway... we won... that's all that matters... now let's not lose concentration at home...

Back to Anfield ... looking forward to the game :D

I would really love to see Fowler getting 90 mins on Saturday... Hope benitez will field him, he rarely get to kick.

coolfire69
24-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Back to Anfield ... looking forward to the game

I would really love to see Fowler getting 90 mins on Saturday... Hope benitez will field him, he rarely get to kick.

As much as I'd love to see God playing a full game, I think it's near impossible... :( But following Rafa's ideology, God is a possibility... :D

YNWA...

libraguy75
24-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Heh BROS !!

Anybody going down to HRC tonite to watch the game ??

:D

coolfire69
25-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Back to Anfield ... looking forward to the game :D

Hey bro, your wish came true... and GODscored 2!!! :D

coolfire69
25-02-2007, 01:09 AM
...Oh, and may I add that Dudek was in goal today instead? Hehehe... :p

jootjoot
25-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Hey bro, your wish came true... and GODscored 2!!! :D

good for him for scoring the 2 penalties! like to watch him play.. always keeping his cool, experienced and skillful..:D
hope he will be in the starting eleven on the upcoming match at Anfield on Saturday (3 march)..

jootjoot
25-02-2007, 03:26 AM
...Oh, and may I add that Dudek was in goal today instead? Hehehe...

you are right, bro!:D he helped to make it a 9 straight clean sheet at Anfield!! bravo, bravo, bravo!!! he wasn't really put to the test today, except for one close range shot which Sheffield player rammed the ball but kena the top pole. that one was sooooo close:p !!!

ah_gogo
25-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Woohoo!!!

Great result. Gerrard's goal was a beaut! Robbie's penalties were never in doubt and best of all, Mascherano had a solid, solid game.. He's gonna be a gem of a signing, I predict. Here's hoping that we've found Didi's replacement..

Back to Anfield ... looking forward to the game

Would have loved to have seen Fowler get a hat-trick, but what was good was to see him still getting involved right up to the final whistle - if injuries do hit, he looks well capable of stepping up for a run of 90 minute appearances. Some neat interplay and great awareness from him once again.

Rafael Benitez has revealed that Peter Crouch was forced to leave the field against Sheffield United because the striker had broken his nose.
Crouch sustained the injury when he jumped for a ball from the corner and was caught by a high boot and had to be replaced by Dirk Kuyt.

"Crouch has a broken nose and needed stitches but it's not serious," said Benitez.

"He is okay and I was talking to him after the game."

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/trygettingme/CrouchInjury.jpg

Get well soon Crouch!! I hope he's ok, the injuries look kind of serious and he was bleeding loads :(

mahalosux
25-02-2007, 04:09 AM
with Mascherano inclusion..it allows Gerrard to play in a more forward position and off course ..a definite threat to the opponents (see the penalties that SHU concedes and goal he score)....

hopefully we can continue this form when MU come to Anfield next.... :)

ah_gogo
25-02-2007, 04:44 AM
with Mascherano inclusion..it allows Gerrard to play in a more forward position and off course ..a definite threat to the opponents (see the penalties that SHU concedes and goal he score)....

hopefully we can continue this form when MU come to Anfield next.... :)

Yup glad to hear Mascherano settled in well too, should be a useful addition to the squad. Gives Momo and Alonso a bit of healthy competition for a place in partnering Gerrard :)

kb_soo80
25-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Again great results, let's keep them coming..

Paul Merson described Gerrards goal as 'World Class', i enjoyed that goal most when Fowler played the ball to Gerrard who flicked the ball round the defender and lashed it in with his right foot

Rafael Benitez has revealed that Peter Crouch was forced to leave the field against Sheffield United because the striker had broken his nose.
Crouch sustained the injury when he jumped for a ball from the corner and was caught by a high boot and had to be replaced by Dirk Kuyt.

"Crouch has a broken nose and needed stitches but it's not serious," said Benitez.

"He is okay and I was talking to him after the game."

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/trygettingme/CrouchInjury.jpg

Get well soon Crouch!! I hope he's ok, the injuries look kind of serious and he was bleeding loads

Poor Crouch, that was serious, bleeding like that, kaozzzz. Hope he recover soon :(

Cummon
25-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Our beloved God should have got a hattrick if he was a bit sharper in front of the goal,to him that's now or never
Stevie ever said 'beating MU has become a habit' when Pool recorded a five consecutive wins over the Scums while under GH's reign.
Can't wait to bury the Devils at Anfield next weekend as our level of confidence is sky high at the moment. After that clash ,I wish to hear Stevie say' from now onwards,it's the first of many' :)

lungless
25-02-2007, 09:13 AM
i must say that Masherano is a great acquisition. I truly believe that he will help Liverpool from now on. He gives Sissiko and Alonso competition in the team and he will break down Opponents play well for a good Liverpool Counter Attack!! Cheers

Luckytime
25-02-2007, 11:40 AM
What a game for Liverpool again... Fowler is very cool at taking the penalties and wat a pass to Gerrard. I think he should play most of the time rather then playing Crouch. Liverpool should be fighting for the league championship if not 4 their poor start. Liverpool rules...:D

Jadoo
25-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Brothers of the Mighty REDS,

A Liverpool supporter has launched an online petition to Downing Street to award Bob Paisley with a posthumous knighthood.

The petition, launched by fan Ian Little, got 270 votes within 30 hours of it being launched and it soon rose to almost 2,000.

The Prime Minister Tony Blair has said he will consider cases for posthumous knighthoods and in Paisley's case, Liverpool fans feel the honour would be a fitting memory for him.

Paisley is the most successful manager in Liverpool's history leading the Reds to six league championships and three European Cups. He was awarded the OBE but never received a knighthood.

He served Liverpool FC for over 50 years until he retired due to ill health.

Paisley's record as Liverpool FC Manager:

Six League Championships: 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83.

Three European Cups: 1977, 1978, 1981.

Three League Cups: 1980-81, 1981-82, 1982-83.

One UEFA Cup: 1975-76.

One European Super Cup: 1976-77.

Five Charity Shields: 1974, 1976, 1977 (shared), 1980, 1982.

Six Manager of the Year Awards: 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83.

The URL is as follow:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155061070223-2358.htm

3 Cheers for Sir Bob!!!

YNWA!!
Jadoo

owen10
25-02-2007, 01:52 PM
well done Mascherano! i thk he had a decent n solid debut. he was hardwkg n made many gd tackles. hope to see more of him in d future!

fowler .. could have got his hat-trick with 1 or 2 gd chances. wd have been a fairytale comeback for him!

ehh .. to put in a fair word, i thk d 2 early penalties helped. if d game had ended scoreless @ halftime, SHU may have even gotten somthg, d way they played so defensively.

Bring on d Red Devils!!!! wahahahhahaaaa :D

Jadoo
25-02-2007, 02:02 PM
fowler .. could have got his hat-trick with 1 or 2 gd chances. wd have been a fairytale comeback for him!

Fowler has Hat-trick over SHU this season in a way!! all 3 goals, all Penalty!!!

I hope he plays more for the rest of the season as he might not be in Rafa's plan for next season... :(

YNWA,
Jadoo

coolfire69
25-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Again great results, let's keep them coming..

Paul Merson described Gerrards goal as 'World Class', i enjoyed that goal most when Fowler played the ball to Gerrard who flicked the ball round the defender and lashed it in with his right foot

...Not forgetting also that it was Masch who provided the thru-pass to God beforehand... :D

coolfire69
25-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Brothers of the Mighty REDS,

A Liverpool supporter has launched an online petition to Downing Street to award Bob Paisley with a posthumous knighthood.

The petition, launched by fan Ian Little, got 270 votes within 30 hours of it being launched and it soon rose to almost 2,000.

The Prime Minister Tony Blair has said he will consider cases for posthumous knighthoods and in Paisley's case, Liverpool fans feel the honour would be a fitting memory for him.

Paisley is the most successful manager in Liverpool's history leading the Reds to six league championships and three European Cups. He was awarded the OBE but never received a knighthood.

He served Liverpool FC for over 50 years until he retired due to ill health.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155061070223-2358.htm

3 Cheers for Sir Bob!!!

YNWA!!
Jadoo

Bro, the online petition is only for British citizens... :o

hotsoup16
25-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I can only say that Mascherano played a decent game, he seems to be struggling on the phyical side in term of losing possesion when challenaged for ball

coolfire69
25-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Let's give him a couple more games... for match fitness... ;)

canthaveenuf
25-02-2007, 03:42 PM
A good win last night. Good to see the God on the scoresheet, Hyppia too and of course Stevie G.

To me, two guys stood out last night. Mascherano and Pennant. Mascherano did all the running and was everywhere. He was very determined to prove that he is a good signing for Pools and Rafa would be more than convinced by his performance last night. Hopefully, he will continue to impress. Good to have him and Sisoko sharing the defensive midfield duties. Both are equally committed but Mascherano is more refined, I feel. Sisoko is more clumsy. And not to forget Pennant. He ran his lungs out last night and winning many balls. He is getting better and better.

Rafa now has some healthy headaches filling up the midfield slots and making sure everybody stays happy.

And last but not least, good to see Dudek given his run.

Cheers

ah_gogo
26-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Rafa's interview regarding Mascherano debut. He looks nice and happy. But its straight back to business.

Mascherano is another example of how giving depth and improving a squad progresively. As Rafa said now Mascherano could, if he does things well, dispute the place to Alonso or other midfielders, which is nice.

Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nZctQEZfZI

Wowholing
26-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Wow what a game on sat, good result from the guys and a good week in general. Glad Fowler started and got his two goals. Hyypia was solid at the back and after scoring couldnt help laughing at his little celebration. The guys were playing well all over the park, glad to see it from the reserve team as well.
Fab record at home, clean sheets again :)

kevin ng
26-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Really good to know that LFC has such a good and loyal following. Many of the players used to live in Birkdale, a town about 10 miles outside Liverpool. Remember legends like Alan Hanson, Kenny Daglish, Peter Beardsley? Used to live about couple of miles from them- not too near, cannot afford the houses there.

What are your views about the new 'ownership'? Do u think LFC will climb new heights like Chelsae?

KingEros
26-02-2007, 10:45 AM
From what i heard Mascherano played well but he's class so that's to be expected. Must be a memorable debut for him i reckon.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "memorable debut" but yes, the guy played real well, save for the apprehensive first 15-20 minutes or so. His performance further justtified my previous judgement of him being an even better ball-winner than Sissoko (almost in the mould of Didi, maybe only lacking in his shooting).
As for he being an obvious class act, still dun understand why West Ham could not see it leh ... especially when not just 1 but 2 managers also the same opinion. Must be the hereditory sign of the "small club syndrome", yah?? :D

Sagasa
26-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I think not just cuz he was at west ham, but also that I think they were more famous than the rest of the west ham players. Maybe the other guys were envious of mascherano & tevez.
Glad we managed to hook him after so long tho. Now onwards to Barca and Man U!

KLKOOL
26-02-2007, 03:21 PM
LiverPOOL 4-0 winners... Music to my ears :D ... Nice to see Fowler on the scoresheet... and Warnock such a whiner ... suppose he would be happier with 3-0 rather than 4-0... sheesh.. Mascherano had a good game and would be a good player for us in the future...

canthaveenuf
26-02-2007, 06:47 PM
His performance further justtified my previous judgement of him being an even better ball-winner than Sissoko (almost in the mould of Didi, maybe only lacking in his shooting).

If he keeps up his good work, he will be as indispensable as Didi.

As for he being an obvious class act, still dun understand why West Ham could not see it leh ... especially when not just 1 but 2 managers also the same opinion. Must be the hereditory sign of the "small club syndrome", yah?? :D

I vaguely recall reading somewhere he liked Pools becos he and Rafa can speak same language. I think that is important cos there must be good comms between the manager and the player. Further, I suppose Pardew may not be too happy with him and Tevez cos they were thrusted upon him, and not his choice. So, it was like a lan-lan bo-bian case.

Also, probably his play at West Ham maybe not so whole-hearted cos it is a smaller club. But playing for Pools is different I guess, bound to be more motivated.

Cheers

Wowholing
26-02-2007, 06:52 PM
and Warnock such a whiner ... suppose he would be happier with 3-0 rather than 4-0... sheesh.. Mascherano had a good game and would be a good player for us in the future...

Lol bro good one. Both pens were legit. Warnock is whining about nothing :p

Cummon
26-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Liverpool have confirmed the summer arrival of Ukraine striker Andriy Voronin just hours after boss Rafael Benitez was describing veteran Robbie Fowler as the club's best finisher.

Voronin, 27, will join on a Bosman free transfer at the end of the season from Bayer Leverkusen, a signing that will almost certainly signal the end of Fowler's second spell at Anfield.

The Kop favourite took his goals tally to seven in seven starts this term with the two penalties that helped beat Sheffield United 4-0 on Saturday.

And, although Benitez was cagey over his long-term future, the conclusion of a deal for Voronin will suggest that 31-year-old Fowler will not have his one-year contract extended in the summer.

Voronin has previously played for Cologne, Mainz and Borussia Moenchengladbach and also represented his country on 40 occasions, scoring five goals in the process.

On the assumption that Benitez does not sell Craig Bellamy in the summer following his alleged antics on a Portuguese training camp, Voronin will become the Merseysiders' fourth striker.

Benitez may also try to sign a proven 20-goal-a-season forward, which would only hasten the departure of Fowler, who returned to the club in January last year for what was an unexpected swansong for one of the club's modern legends.

Benitez initially gave Fowler a six-month contract, extending that by a year last summer.

But it is unlikely sentiment will come into the Spaniard's plans for the future now he has been promised a sizeable transfer kitty by the club's new American owners.

But that has not stopped Benitez hailing Fowler as the best finisher at the club.

He told Liverpool's official website: 'He's a really good finisher, still the best we have, and I sometimes think that if we could have Bellamy running at defenders and carrying the ball 20 yards, then turning into Fowler with the goal in sight, it would be perfect.

'If you create chances for him, you know you can rely on his finishing and that is a very important quality to have.

'We have four very good strikers, all with different skills. You can make the most of Peter Crouch's aerial ability, Dirk Kuyt works hard between the lines and Bellamy runs behind defences.

'Robbie operates in and around the box and, of course, he snaps up chances. We can talk about Robbie's future at a later date but, if he scores every time he plays over the next few months, you never know.

'You need a regular supply of goals from someone and, if Robbie is not with us next season, we will have to look for another like him.
'It will not be easy, but it is clear we would need someone with the same qualities.'

Besides the God,between Crouch & Bellamy, I reckon one of them has to go at the end of the season. In order to challege for EPL title next season,we need a fox in the box in the mould of Owen or Nistelrooy.

Exciter101
26-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I not so sure about the new signing but i do hope that Robbie stays at Pool for another season.

hotsoup16
26-02-2007, 11:26 PM
anyone knows what style does the new player,voronin play? I reckon he is signed to replace fowler so i suspect he's similiar to fowler

rahl
27-02-2007, 12:24 AM
anyone knows what style does the new player,voronin play? I reckon he is signed to replace fowler so i suspect he's similiar to fowler

Rafa has just denied that. He stated that we still need a finisher in the mould of Fowler. This is after the signing of Voronin in the summer was confirmed.

Cummon
27-02-2007, 12:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Voronin

From what I've read,he is the Kuyt type of player,hardworking & tends to drop deep,not a clinical finisher like Fowler,more like a linkman than an out and out striker. BTW,he is FREE :cool:

hotsoup16
27-02-2007, 12:36 AM
I think what Liverppol are missing now is a creative midfielder who is able to break up a stubbon defence. someone in the mould of split passing and shooting. anyone in mind?